Talk

Advanced search

would you have eaten this, or am i being precious?

(18 Posts)
misdee Sun 24-Aug-08 19:39:27

i cooked a chicken for sunday roast. 1.5kg bird, cooked for 2.5hours, as perusual. poked it and juices ran clear.

as i went to cut the legs off for dd's to eat for their part of the meals, a lump of bloody jelly fell out. on further inspection the meat on the legs was very dark. in fact it looked almost black and was slimey. dh looked at it and said it didnt look right either.

I have cooked hundreds of chickens over the yuears, and the look of this one when cooked just wasnt right.

will i get laughed out of the shop when i return it tomorrow?

it is cooked all the way through.

i ended up cooking some sausages to go with the rest of the meal

TheArmadillo Sun 24-Aug-08 19:41:56

did it smell?

Sounds weird to me. Better to be on safe side.

misdee Sun 24-Aug-08 19:42:58

no, which is the strange thing. and i have a very senstive nose as am pregnant.

dh said not to risk it, due to my current state and his immune suppressed one.

mammyjo Sun 24-Aug-08 19:43:12

I have a bit of a paranoia about cooking chicken properly, so if it looked odd I probably wouldn't have eaten it!

bellavita Sun 24-Aug-08 19:43:34

As you say, you have cooked hundreds of chickens so I think you would know if it wasn't right.

Just take it back and tell them you and your children were not prepared to eat it and you had to cook something else and yes please, if they want to give you some el compo - cough up.

TheArmadillo Sun 24-Aug-08 19:45:18

Can you contact your local trading standards and ask them about it?

Though they probably won't be open till tues.

charchargabor Sun 24-Aug-08 19:46:22

Doesn't sound right to me, I would take it back.

TrinityRhino Sun 24-Aug-08 19:46:34

I wouldn't have eaten it

Guitargirl Sun 24-Aug-08 19:48:16

Definitely wouldn't have eaten it.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 24-Aug-08 19:48:20

Sounds dodgy. Definitely take back.

cafebistro Sun 24-Aug-08 19:50:20

I have a friend who is a butcher and he says the most dangerous meat is chicken..in terms of food poisoning, butchers even have to keep it seperate from the other meats ( different chopping boards etc) so Im very wary of it. You were right not to eat it...especially being pregnant.

ChukkyPig Sun 24-Aug-08 19:51:27

Black and slimey is certainly not what a roast chicken should be! Take it back and wave it in their faces.

devonsmummy Sun 24-Aug-08 19:51:30

where did it come from?

misdee Sun 24-Aug-08 20:00:57

tesco willow farm one.

BBBee Sun 24-Aug-08 20:03:48

have had to take back a number of chickens over the years for being off despite wihin sell by date. Have never had a problem - always cough off.

I think you did the right think FWIW

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 24-Aug-08 20:07:11

Leg meat can often be darker - doesn't mean it isn't cooked. But black and slimy isn't good. Definitely go back and complain.

Mercy Sun 24-Aug-08 20:09:04

A bit of bloody jelly is normal ime (usually from the ends of the legs.

Black and slimey is not normal ime (and I'm older than you so have have probably cooked millions of chickens grin)

Agree that you can't be too careful with chicken - beef is a much safer bet tbh

misdee Sun 24-Aug-08 20:15:23

yes i know leg meat is darker, but regularly cut the chooks legs off first as the girls love them.

tomorrows dinner is going have to rearrange now as was going to use the left over meat for dinner tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now