Talk

Advanced search

Blackberries - what else can I do with them???

(26 Posts)
FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:26:46

Blackerry and Apple crumble.......ermm

what else?

Just been and collected loads with the DS's, and promised them at least one more trip out go to collect more - but what will I do with them all??

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 15:27:47

Muffins?

Erm....... They are nice in a stew with pork.

BCNS Sun 24-Aug-08 15:30:36

this might help

BBBee Sun 24-Aug-08 15:31:29

they freeze well!

stirlingmum Sun 24-Aug-08 15:35:30

variation on a theme, but made these backberry and apple pasties last year and they were nice.
And you could make a load and freeze them.

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:36:19

thanks grin - I just know that as nice as blackeryy and apple crumble and custard is, it's going to get boring the amount of blackberries I'm going to end up with lol

TooTicky Sun 24-Aug-08 15:42:51

I make blackberry and apple pancakes.
Whisk wholemeal SR flour with soya milk, add just a wee bit of sugar. Mix in chopped apple and blackberries - gently otherwise it all turns to purple mush. Fry smile
Lovely for breakfast!

PestoMonster Sun 24-Aug-08 15:44:50

I have made a blackberry & apple crumble every week since the school holidays started and none of us have got sick of them yet.

However, some of those other ideas might just be worth investigating. Thanks BCNS

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:45:56

Pesto - just the ones we picked this afternoon will probably do us for a weeks worth of B&A crumble - and there's going to be more picked soon..........eeek!!!

PestoMonster Sun 24-Aug-08 15:47:52

Don't forget you can freeze them too FAQ. I have an icecream tub's worth in our freezer, ready for when the season's over grin

jenpet Sun 24-Aug-08 15:48:04

Blackberry & apple jam? (or jelly if you're not keen on pippy jam)

differentID Sun 24-Aug-08 15:48:47

go onto bbc food website and they can come up with some great recipes.

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:50:05

I'm not sure where to start with Jam - although i'd love to make some.

A few years ago my mum was having a clear out and offered me all her jam making stuff - including a HUGE pan for making it in - at the time I could never picture myself making jam so turned it down - wish I hadn't now.

Oh I'll put plenty in the freezer definitely grin

TooTicky Sun 24-Aug-08 15:53:17

Oh oh, how about this?

Remove juice from the very ripest berries using a juice extractor or pressing through several layers of muslin. Allow the thich, dark juice to stand undisturbed in a warm room. Do not stir, cool or add anything to it. In a few hours it will have set to the consistency of a light junket!!!
(all credit to Food For Free, by Richard Mabey)

jenpet Sun 24-Aug-08 16:20:00

Jam is not difficult, but I would only make a little bit to start with anyway - if you make a huge jam pan full and you don't like it it's a bit of a waste of effort - as a rule you need about the same amount of sugar as fruit - if you do blackberry & apple normal sugar (rather than the one with added pectin) is fine as the apples have plenty of pectin. Boil up the fruit with a splash of water until it's as mushy/firm as you like it, then add the sugar - the fruit won't cook any more when sugar is added. Cook for about 20 mins-ish depending on how much you have, then check if it will set by freezing a plate, put a bit of jam on the plate & if it goes "wrinkly" when you push it with your finger it's done. Sterilise jars by putting them in the oven for 10 mins-ish, then fill.

Sorry, that's not very scientific sounding, I'm a bit "bish-bash-bosh" about it all, but I love making jam, it's really good fun & you never know exactly how it'll turn out - last years plum jam for example set so well it's like wine gum jam & is totally impossible to spread grin

dilbertina Sun 24-Aug-08 16:28:35

You can do blackberry jam by itself without the pips.... Gently boil blackberries with some lemon juice till pretty mushy, squash what you can through a normal sieve - bin the contents of sieve. For each pint of juice/pulp add one pound of preserving/jam sugar, heat gently till sugar melts then boil rapidly till goes wrinkly on a plate as Jenpet describes! 'tis ewssence of blackberries without the pips, and quick and easy!

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 16:31:52

oh I've got the jam recipe - bizarrely I did end up getting my mum's "old faithful" jam recipe book.

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Sun 24-Aug-08 16:37:30

We have just finished LAST YEAR's blackberries out of the freezer. I made a hot fruit sauce out of them with some added raspberries, blueberries and blackcurrants (but think could have just used brambles on their own) to serve with ice cream when we had friends over for lunch today.

Frozen berries also good for adding to home made smoothies.

DeeRiguer Sun 24-Aug-08 16:54:19

cheesecake
made killer one yesterday lemon ginger with blackberries (lots!) on top

ginger biscuits butter for base
fresh ginger and lemon zest and juice with philly and mascarpone
blackberries on top
yum!

poly Sun 24-Aug-08 23:36:32

FAQ.
You can make small ammounts of jam in your microwave check the instruction book and the recipe book if one came with your model.
You have jars you said what about wax circles to on top the jam? Do you have lids with your jars? You need cellephane circles as well if you don't have lids for your jars. And sugar I can't remember how much.
My Mum used to make jam I wish I had paid more attention.
apples she used lots with blackberry's crab apples she said they were best or cooking apples.
hope thats of help to you. Have you tried doing a search on blackerry's perhaps not you might get millions to sort.
Poly

halogen Tue 26-Aug-08 10:58:00

Blackberry sponge cake is lovely. Just make a normal sponge cake mixture and stir a hefty helping of blackberries in gently at the end. It's lovely and moist.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 26-Aug-08 11:06:01

Autumn pudding.
Like summer pudding but use stewed blackberry and apples.

biglips Tue 26-Aug-08 11:07:28

my Dp made a Rhubarb and blackberries crumble...it was beyond delicious!!!!!!

thornrose Tue 26-Aug-08 11:07:28

Oh god, bramble pie with custard just brought back vivid childhood memories!

woodstock3 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:29:30

so far i've made blackberry and pear crumble, blackberry and apple pie, had a lot of blackberries and muesli/porridge with blackberries for breakfast and am planning some blackberry muffins (using a blueberry recipe and substituting). we've also got people coming for sunday lunch this weekend and they will be getting blackberry and raspberry pavlova!
was also contemplating a blackberry version of sloe gin - haven't made this before but sloe gin is lovely
the blackberry version is 450g berries, 225g caster sugar, a litre of brandy. just wash the berries and put in a sterilised jar, pour over sugar and booze, shake and seal. keep it in a dark cupboard and shake every other day for a week, then just shake once a week for a couple of months. they say you can drink it after that but with the sloe gin it was best after a year. the sloe one is fabulous with champagne, used like cassis in kir - ie only a little bit in the bottom of the flute - and i bet the blackberry brandy would be similar
i think you can also make blackberry vinegar but not really sure how. they would also be maybe nice in one of those almondy tarts, you know that are normally made with pears - is it called frangipane, that stuff? but dont have a recipe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now