Talk

Advanced search

how long after their best before date would dried chick peas be ok to use?

(18 Posts)
lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 21:25:59

I inherited some from mil earlier today who thought I may get some use out of them as they've been in her cupboard for a while. The best before date is sometime this month although I couldn't exactly make it out. Will they be ok for a while yet or would I be better throwing them away? It seems like quite a waste to me so if they're not keepable as they are, could I maybe freeze them or soak and then freeze them?

Hope that makes sense to someone! tia smile

thisisyesterday Sat 23-Aug-08 21:28:05

oh yes I'd totally use them.

AvenaLife Sat 23-Aug-08 21:29:07

They are dry so there isn't any moisture for bacteria to breed. I'd use them.

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 21:31:07

good point Avena, never thought of that! they'll be used quite quickly anyways so won't have to waste them. Can cross them off my shopping list now

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 21:32:22

Oh they'll keep for ages. It is only a best before date not a use by. At the worst they might not cook as well a year past the bb date. No point in freezing - they are preserved in the most suitable way in their current state.

gagarin Sat 23-Aug-08 21:33:00

5-10 years I would think grin

whatdayisit Sat 23-Aug-08 21:34:12

Definitely use them - when they were "new" they prob had a date about 2 years ahead, hardly likely to go off overnight.

IMO all useby dates are a con to make us throw out food and buy more. If it looks and smells OK, it is OK.

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 21:36:58

BigBadMousey, they'll not be in my cupboard a year and gagarin definately won't be there in 5 years!! grin

whatdayisit i didn't think so but thought it best to check, never throw anything I don't have to!

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 22:32:55

You sound like a nice healthy eating family! I think several members of our household thing chickpeas are poisonous - not that that stops me using them to bulk things up (I think DD1 enjoys hiding them under the rim of her plate anyway grin)

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 22:48:18

lol@ your dd hiding them under the rim of her plate. I've been trying out new stuff as was getting bored of the same stuff all the time and am cutting down on shopping costs. Try to be healthy as poss without living on rabbit food (salad to everyone but oh!) he doesn't notice when i bulk stuff up with them/lentils/veggies anyways and full of protein so why not!

NotAnOtter Sat 23-Aug-08 22:48:52

years imo

Aitch Sat 23-Aug-08 22:50:43

yup, years.

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 23:03:01

I've got DH interested in lentilly things like Dahl and a vegetariam mousakka (sorry excuse sp - bad migraine atm blush) but they require too much time and attention atm with babyDS to look after too. I'm hoping that I don't have to go through the 're-introduction of new foodstuffs' all over again with them - was bad enough first time round grin

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 23:07:09

lol, my oh is open to suggestions but lets me know if he doesn't fancy something else again. They do need time & attention though as I found out when trying dahl for the first time the other week but was worth the effort for sure

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 23:11:41

Yes definitely worth the effort. I would make in bulk and freeze but it never lasts long enough to get to the freezer grin....also I always burn the bit at the bottom of the pan so I have to add 2 hours of pan-scrubbing to my timescale grin

freshayrshire Sat 23-Aug-08 23:24:26

Totally safe to use - a best before date is just an indication of when the quality of the food can be guaranteed until. It's not like a 'use by' date which is more about safety.

BigBadMousey Sat 23-Aug-08 23:26:22

You see! Everyone agrees (a rare occurance on MN surely? grin)

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 08:57:15

lol@rare occurance on mn! if that's the case I will buy some next time local co-op reduces them to 20p, never bothered before simply because of the date on them! My freezer's too full atm to make anything in bulk unfortunately, so will be eating out of there all week I think since most of it's frozen left overs!

I burn the bottom of the pan too, think it's a bit hard to watch constantly when you have kids around so you can't avoid that happening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now