Talk

Advanced search

i would like to learn to make something new this week . . . any suggestions?

(12 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 22-Aug-08 21:24:54

have learned loads from mn so thought i would pick the brains of you lovely ladies again for something new to make!

i can do simple stuff like spag bol/lasagne/shepherds pie/curry & have recently learned to do dahl, risotto, make a tomato sauce for pasta and other bits and pieces.

Sooooo . . . could someone suggest something new for me to try out on my oh this week as would like to go out on payday friday but we're skint so thought i'd serve up something tasty with a bottle of vino smile

2loudboys Sat 23-Aug-08 19:39:01

Thai Green Chicken Curry - fry up a finely chopped medium onion, then when they are softened, add 4 sliced skinless chicken breasts. When they have turned white, add 5 big teaspoons of green curry paste (Bart's is delicious) and stir everything around a bit. Then add a tin of coconut milk and leave to simmer uncovered for about 30 mins. Then add a teaspoon of fish sauce (any supermarket will have this) and any veg that you like (baby corn, mange touts, sugar snap peas, peas etc) and simmer another 15 mins. Stir in some chopped coriander & serve with rice. Yum, yum.

SlartyBartFast Sat 23-Aug-08 19:48:17

moussaka?

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 20:05:11

thai green chicken curry, sounds yummy 2loudboys and simple!

SlartyBartFast, I have not got a clue what moussaka is but will google and investigate.

thank-you both smile

MissisBoot Sat 23-Aug-08 20:16:28

If you've been trying out dhal can I recommend this curry for you to try.

It is super easy and absolutely delicious!

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 21:04:52

cheers MissisBoot, that looks very tasty! is it a spicy curry? oh struggles a little with very spicy stuff but i guess i could always alter it so it's not too hot

SlartyBartFast Sat 23-Aug-08 23:02:09

the moussaka i made had courgettes instead of aubergines (which i prefer)
and dont forget lime in your thai green curry.

MissisBoot Sun 24-Aug-08 08:27:23

It is quite spicy - but you could just leave out the green chillies - the blend of the other spices would still make it a lovely dish.

It goes well with her homemade naan - v easy too!

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 08:33:49

not too keen on courgettes or aubergines Slarty but I may still give it a go, you never know if you don't try something!!

MissisBoot, will be trying the curry next week I think after we've done our shopping. Would probably leave out the chillies though so oh doesn't struggle too much. Although I think it's more of a psychological thing as he struggles with even the mildest of curries! Am going to look up the home made naan as well, been baking quite a bit recently so will add to my repertoire. smile

MissisBoot Sun 24-Aug-08 08:50:04

Excellent - hope it goes well - I've never eaten a takeaway curry since buying her book. They are the best curries in teh world!

He'll probably be ok with these curries as its the blend of spices that makes it sooo delish!

I've been trying to find a link to a chicken/yoghury curry of hers but let me know how you get on on friday and if you want I'll post it for you!

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 09:40:25

cheers, fingers crossed it'll go ok!

SlartyBartFast Sun 24-Aug-08 10:09:13

i used delia but can't find the actual recipe blush there is a vegetarian option though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now