Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got any good recipes using pork mince?

(15 Posts)
BexieID Fri 22-Aug-08 13:00:59

Found some in the freezer. Did think about Shepherds pie and Spag Bol?

bozza Fri 22-Aug-08 13:05:49

Meatballs. Mix mince with beaten egg, thyme, parsely, breadcrumbs and garlic. Form into meatballs. Cook on non-stick tray in oven. Serve with pasta and a tomato sauce. Or with mash, gravy and veg.

schneebly Fri 22-Aug-08 13:07:48

yes I was going to say meatballs too - and ahve spaghetti with meatballs and tomato sauce yum!

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 22-Aug-08 13:08:38

Nigel Slater has a fanastic recipe for garlicky thai rissoles with sweet chilli sauce, if you want that?

BexieID Fri 22-Aug-08 13:11:08

LOL, me and DP don't like meatballs, although I would be willing to make my own actually as the ingredients bozza listed sound ok (maybe it's shop bought ones that have put us off).

bozza Fri 22-Aug-08 13:16:38

I can only make oven baked ones. If I try to pan fry them they always fall to pieces. Just remembered the recipe I use (which is out of the Dinnerlady book) also includes grated cheese and obviously the herbs and garlic are optional.

SqueakyPop Fri 22-Aug-08 13:18:50

I've only ever used it for meatballs or stuffing, or mixed with minced beef for bolognaise.

BexieID Fri 22-Aug-08 13:18:52

Thai rissoles sounds different. Thanks all.

BexieID Fri 22-Aug-08 13:21:00

Well I got it for 20p at work and it's been in the freezer for over a month, lol. Tom will only eat sheps pie atm, so was looking for pork mince (and lamb mince) recipes.

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 22-Aug-08 13:29:43

Thai Pork Rissoles with Lime Leaves, Chillies and Mint

125g fatty bacon, e.g. pancetta
4 spring onions, roughly chopped
8 large lime leaves
a knob of ginger about the size of your thumb, grated
a large, hot chilli, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
a handful of mint leaves, about 12
450g minced pork
a little oil for frying

Mince the bacon in a food processor.

Throw into the food processor bowl the spring onions, lime leaves (removing any tough stems), the grated ginger, chilli, garlic and mint. Season generously with black pepper and salt.

Whizz until the aromatics are finely incorporated into the bacon

Mix with the minced pork and set aside in the cool while the mixture stiffens and the aromatics flavour the meat

To cook, heat a little oil in a frying pan (any sort of oil will do - you need enough to cover the bottom of the pan in a shallow layer)

Shape the seasoned pork into about 12 little patties or into small meat balls (whichever you prefer - I usually make them into meat balls) and drop them into the hot fat. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of the patties/meatballs/your pan

Fry until cooked through - probably around 10 minutes - check by cutting into one and if it's pink cook for a bit longer

Make a dipping sauce:

5 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
small handful of coriander leaves, chopped

Bring the vinegar and the sugar to the boil in a small saucepan and boil till it turns sticky, a bit like thin golden syrup

Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce

Cool then add the chilli and coriander leaves

stirlingmum Fri 22-Aug-08 13:40:45

When I make bolognaise I always use beef & pork mince together (50/50). It gives a nice flavour and texture.

I always make meatballs out of pork mince using Delia's recipe here. I know you say you dont like meatballs, neither did I, but I like these, and so do the dc!

BlingLovin Fri 22-Aug-08 17:32:08

I normally do this one with pork sausage meat but it's practically pork mince and plan to swap to mince for convenience.

Fry mince in olive oil with a teaspoon of fennel seeds. Once browned, add zest of one lemon, chopped clove of garlic and then any/all combination of small chopped chilli/nutmeg/cloves/other Italian herbs that go with sausages. Fry lightly for a minute then add a handful of chopped tomatoes (if it's mince, I'd be tempted to put in half a can of chopped) add 100 ml each of white wine and milk and allow to reduce. Stir through 1 - 2 tablespoons of cremefraiche at end and serve with penne pasta parmesan, salt and pepper.

If you want to up the vegetable quotient, throw some frozen spinach into the past when you cook it.

BexieID Fri 22-Aug-08 21:33:23

Thanks, i'll have ago at them all at some point.

traceybath Fri 22-Aug-08 21:38:40

I also do ragu with a mix of pork and beef mince - yummy.

Sarah raven has a nice recipe for pork mince with loads of rosemary and pasta.

Its basically a fried onion, pinch of chilli, pork mince and loads of chopped rosemary with a glass of white wine. Cook it for about 20 mins and then toss with pasta and serve with loads of fresh parmesan.

Yummy.

Nat1H Fri 22-Aug-08 21:49:38

I concocted this a few months ago and the kids love it!

approx 1lb pork mince.
Add any kind of chopped/minced vegetables you like (I have to hide mine to get them down the kids)
Add apple and mint jelly / mint jelly and half an apple.
season, shape into walnut size pieces and then cover in breadcrumbs.
cook in the oven (180C fan) for about 30 minutes.
Delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now