Talk

Advanced search

Sunday Roast

(15 Posts)
Zebraa Thu 21-Aug-08 22:56:44

What does yours include? Details and every mummy on here has to do it...

My MIL called my Sunday Roast... boring! How could she?!

Oh, include flavours too... thyme etc.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 21-Aug-08 23:09:34

not till you cough up about the "boring" version wink

but how could a sunday dinner be boring anyway? expected, familiar and comforting, but not boring.

Skramble Thu 21-Aug-08 23:21:04

I do chicken with lemons up its bum as DD likes to describe it.

chop lemons in half or what ever fits and shove up bum with some rosemary or thyme or both, rub outside with salt and papper, nothing else. Cook upside down at first then finish up right way up.

Normal veg and gravy.

Lubyloo Thu 21-Aug-08 23:32:09

What a rude MIL. I wouldn't invite her again if I were you!

I also stuff the chicken with lemons. I often make a tomato and courgette crumble which livens it up.

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 21-Aug-08 23:38:13

Make your mother in law#s with chilli gravy next time

missingtheaction Thu 21-Aug-08 23:38:39

the whole point of a roast is that it is predictable and safe, surely! big lump of meat, token herbs/garlic/lemon, roast potatoes (mine in goose fat yum yum), whatever veg (pref something that can go in the overn with everythign else) and lots of gravy.

I don't want your MIL's 'interesting' roast thanks!

Skramble Thu 21-Aug-08 23:54:14

Seconds thought shove the lemons up her arse grin

Zebraa Fri 22-Aug-08 13:00:54

hahaha I might just do that Skramble!

I make chicken usually, rub it with herbs and things, sometimes shove food bits up it, depending on my mood. I make mash, roast pots, yorks, veg, gravy... the usual. She said my gravy isn't rich enough and it's just a bit boring.

lovecat Fri 22-Aug-08 13:56:46

Roast beef - usually brisket, so I cook it on low for an hour longer than recommended, in a foil parcel with an inch of water inside - fab gravy! - or if a rib roast (rarely!) I rub the fat with mustard powder and follow St. Delia's recommendations), then to go with I make roasties (with goose fat, dripping or lard - or a mix of all three, cos I save my roasty fat <waits for someone to call her a health hazard...>), yorkshires (individual ones with a well for the gravy), carrots, peas (we have to have peas hmm), broccoli and one other depending on what's in the veg box that week. If DH's family are around I have to do mash as well....

If I do a chicken I do bread sauce(Delia recipe again), pig in blankets, and follow the lemon up the bum route. For a good chicken gravy I confess I use granules in the cooking juices (Sainbos own brand are hydrogenated fat free) and a glug of that 'touch of taste' chicken bouillon - probably more than recommended, but it makes it taste yum!

Turkey crown is stuffed under the skin with a mix of grated courgettes, onion, garlic, herbs and ricotta cheese - makes it beautifully moist and goes well with mediterranean roasted veg and garlic/rosemary new pots in their skins, for a change.

Leg of lamb is studded with rosemary and garlic slivers, buttered and then for the last half hour spread with redcurrant jelly - makes the fat all lovely and crispy-sweet.

WideWebWitch Fri 22-Aug-08 13:59:05

Chicken with butter and thyme mixed and stuffed under the skin and a lemon and a few cloves of garlic inside

roast potatoes, very golden and crispy with rosemary, garlic and salt

broccoli

peas

carrots

parsnips

mange tout

baby sweetcorn

SqueakyPop Fri 22-Aug-08 14:01:11

The roast
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Two seasonal veggies
Sauce

Fairly boring but whinge-free.

sagacious Fri 22-Aug-08 14:03:40

Chicken a'la Jamie Oliver (lemon/butter thyme version)

Sometimes make my own stuffing (red onions/white bread/redwine/garlic)

Roast tatties
Greens/cabbage
Roasted onions/parsnips
Carrots/peas/brocolli

Might be dull but its bloody lovely

ThatBigGermanPrison Sat 23-Aug-08 00:41:33

Does she hideously oversalt her own food? It could be that she genuinely cannot taste it unless she over salts it.

twinsetandpearls Sat 23-Aug-08 01:25:50

I was told of on mumsnet for my roasts, we tend to have one of two options

Beef- yorkshire, cauliflower cheese, carrot and swede mash, roast potatoes, carrots, peas, gravy.
Beef rubbed with mustard powder blast of high heat and then turned down so ends well done middle medium rare.

Chicken - yorkshire because dd and dp love them. Colcannon, carrot and swede mash, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, brocolli with bacon or pancetta, carrots, peas, gravy.

Chicken smothered in butter, lemon and basil up bottom.

Potatoes always part cooked, shaked in flour and cooked in goose fat.

Sometimes we also have parsnips in honey.

woodstock3 Sat 23-Aug-08 22:29:03

your MIL is rude and ungrateful!
unless your gravy really IS boring...
no seriously, she sounds like the type to pick fault whatever you do. but fwiw roast chez woodstock is either chicken (half lemon and fistful of rosemary stuffed in it, lots of butter, then squirt lemon juice and good slosh of white wine into gravy) plus mash or roast depending on whim and two veg. parsnips if dh is lucky
OR roast leg of lamb with garlic and thyme or rosemary poked into cuts in the meat, plus extras as above (gravy this time with good slosh of wine, dollop of redcurrant jelly). in summer sometimes do this with ratatouille instead of normal veg.
OR roast pork cooked on a bed of lemon slices and fresh bay leaves with ripped up bay leaves scattered over. pork doesnt make very good gravy tho(as your MIL seems obssessed with this). nice with apples put in the roasting tin, cored and scored round the middle so they dont explode (as you would for baked appeals) about 40 mins bfore the end, instead of parsnips.
dont really do beef much
if there is moaning could do potatoes dauphinoise with lots of cream and garlic? particuarly nice with lamb
that should shut her up! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now