Talk

Advanced search

Cooking for a visitor that likes things separate and not pasta. Any thoughts?

(15 Posts)
S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 14:58:16

A small visitor grin Family are coming over tomorrow, and I'm thinking I'll do something different for the children, probably.

I could do Hunters chicken or zesty lemon chicken with other stuff like salad and new pots/rice separate?

Or do something like tuna nicoise and do something entirely different for children.

Help me think about it please?
Oh and this keeping food separate from each other, does anyone have any favourites for children who have that preference?

georgiemum Thu 21-Aug-08 15:00:23

Make pizza! Let them put their own toppings on (then they can't complain too much!)

Blu Thu 21-Aug-08 15:08:01

Lamb chops?

But the chicken sounds nice, anyway.

Maybe do one plain chicken drumstick in case sauce is not an option!

mellyonion Thu 21-Aug-08 15:11:07

i usually do the bog standard fish fingers/chicken nuggets/pizza and chips for small people visiting us.....makes for an easy life!

your hunters chicken sounds lush though!!

S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 15:12:49

Hmm yes good thoughts, thank you. Would a child who doesn't like food touching other be keen on pizza though? Sure there must be plenty of mners with dcs like that who could tell me.

<drums fingers impatiently>

Not sure about idea of chicken now, what about salmon fillets? And something like spinach and feta Spanakopita and herby potatoes and green salad? Obviously the pie would just be the adults. Could just add something like erm, corn on the cob?

Bleurgh feeling really indecisive today.

S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 15:14:13

Hunter's chicken is utterly scrummy, as is zesty chicken. And I could do hunters in advance a bit and bake in oven for aaaaaaages. errr errr um um.

choosyfloosy Thu 21-Aug-08 15:14:28

roast chicken with rice and salad (toms and cucumber for the children i know

baked/microwaved salmon pieces with new pots and veg

children's kedgeree (i.e. smoked mackerel, rice, tomato, hard boiled egg pieces

tuna nicoise is lovely for separate-loving children, just put a plate next to the salad bowl, and each time you put an ingredient into the adult bowl, put a little bit onto the plate for the child.

S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 15:17:19

ooh good thought about the nicoise thanks choosy

mellyonion Thu 21-Aug-08 15:17:21

sorry to crash your thread, but how do you do your hunters chicken?? smile

Blu Thu 21-Aug-08 15:24:21

Is the 'separate' criteria for food linked to AS? (I ask as it is a common AS trait).

I which case someone on the SN board will be able to advise. Also on other sensory issues that crop up in food.

What have they provided for you, or what has the child eaten when you go to theirs? Do a version of 'separate' food based on that!

Otherwise - everything you have suggested sounds v nice, so stop over thinking and get on with it!grin

S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 15:40:22

my hunter's chicken

Been ages since we've seen each other so not sure Blu. It has been hinted he may have sn but no diagnosis.

arrgh, must decide. Or make dh decide.

Okay contenders then

Hunters (with pieces of chicken kept seperate) served with roast potatoes and green salad.

Salmon with new potatoes and tomato and parsley salad.

Zesty chicken (because that has less sauce involved) served with rice and rocket salad.

S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 15:48:42

zesty chicken

Blu Thu 21-Aug-08 16:13:17

Do Zesty Chicken!

mellyonion Thu 21-Aug-08 16:26:52

thanks slur...sounds YUMMY!
am expanding my limited repatoire of nice home cooked mals...i didn't know the recipie bit existed...cheers!

S1ur Thu 21-Aug-08 16:27:32

Right thank you. will do.

(can I get you on my payroll as official decision maker? I have several parties coming up grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now