Talk

Advanced search

veg soup, what do you use as stock?

(15 Posts)
gingerninja Thu 21-Aug-08 13:00:06

I like to cook veg soup but generally use a veg oxo cube for the stock supplemented with a handfull of herbs from the garden. Presumably amongst the chefy types this is a frowned upon practice. What is the alternative? Prizes for quickest. This week I tried it with just a few herbs from the garden and it was quite bland.

zoejeanne Thu 21-Aug-08 13:06:36

I went to Delia cookery demo a few years ago - and the recommendation was just to use water, as you should get the tastiest veg possible and you won't want to lose the flavour of those. If Delia said it, it must be right ...

Shitehawk Thu 21-Aug-08 13:09:33

Bugger Delia - there's nothing wrong with using a vegetable stock cube. Some are better than others; I like Just Bouillon or Marigold. But any old stock cube will do - you can use chicken, as long as you're not feeding vegetarians.

You can make your own stock - boil up a load of veg or veg peelings with some garlic, bay leaf, herbs, then strain it. But life's too short, tbh.

gingerninja Thu 21-Aug-08 13:10:40

I obviously had the untastiest veg then! I think a lack of salt didn't help to be honest.

gingerninja Thu 21-Aug-08 13:12:14

Ah good, thanks Shitehawk, I wasn't entertaining or anything just wondered what the 'correct' method was. I like to pretend I can cook proper.

ilovemydog Thu 21-Aug-08 13:17:39

i make mine with:

onion
celery
carrot
bay leaf
parnsips

any root vegetable hanging around

norksinmywaistband Thu 21-Aug-08 13:19:22

I just bung all the veg in and boil then blend,

sometimes add chicken stock if no veggies eating it

gingerninja Thu 21-Aug-08 13:24:33

i generally use
a spud
swede
leek
red lentils
carrot

bay leaf
sprigs of thyme
maybe a sage leaf

if I use an oxo, tis fine. If I don't it tastes a bit bland. Perhaps it is just a salt thing.

Overmydeadbody Thu 21-Aug-08 13:32:40

water

Seriously, if it's a veg soup then the veg will give it flavour. I find sweating them in a little butter first helps add to the flavour.

Lots of salt and pepper than make it taste nice.

Overmydeadbody Thu 21-Aug-08 13:34:20

gingerninja, in cookery there is no one 'correct' method. It is an artform, and like art, there is no one right way to do it.

georgiemum Thu 21-Aug-08 13:35:30

Onion
Leek
Celery
Peppercorns
Bayleaf
Fresh parsley

boil boil boil the shove through a seive. Freezes well.

Blackduck Thu 21-Aug-08 13:38:35

ONly problem with using bought stock (and I use Marigold) is that all your soups can end up tasting a bit samey......I tend to cut down on the amount used so the flavour of the veg comes through...

dandycandyjellybean Thu 21-Aug-08 14:05:14

I use kallo organic and it is absolutely lovely - asda do a smart price veg one which is okay and doesn't have msg in.

dandycandyjellybean Thu 21-Aug-08 14:05:40

think oxo has msg and knorr

Overmydeadbody Thu 21-Aug-08 14:32:02

mmmmmm msg

nothing like that magic white powder to bring out the flavour in food grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now