Talk

Advanced search

Can you freeze onions?

(14 Posts)
beansmum Wed 20-Aug-08 21:12:33

This is part of my plan to save enough money to ship ds's toys to NZ next year. I'm buying veges in big bags to cut up and freeze as soon as I get home. I have frozen diced carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and all the peas and beans from my garden.

Do you think I could dice onions and freeze them? Is this actually going to save me money or am I insane?

SqueakyPop Wed 20-Aug-08 21:13:32

I think you can do that - you can certainly buy bags of frozen onions.

It wouldn't cost much to try it out.

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 21:17:53

i freeze as soon as we get home!! works ok for me smile

PavlovtheCat Wed 20-Aug-08 21:20:36

Onions are fine.

Dont bother with carrots, they go funny, cant explain, the taste, and colour and texture is just wrong imo. Awful. Same for brocolli - when it is cooked again, it tends to fall apart more easily.

I slice/dice most other things, peppers and mushrooms in particular freeze well, as do onions.

I also cook potatoes, mash then freeze portions, that works very well too.

PavlovtheCat Wed 20-Aug-08 21:22:16

Oh and I did it partly to save wastage, as I used to through lots of veg out, but also to save time.

Even if you dont save much money chopping onions, the time you save by whipping out a handful of chopped onions and veg for dinner is soooooo worth it.

Apart from the carrots, of course grin.

twoluvlykids Wed 20-Aug-08 21:23:46

if you dice them up, & put in a plastic box b/4 freezing, & then you can use from frozen,eg in stew,don't bother defrosting first.

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 21:24:18

broccoli doesn't freeze well, i agree. only tried it once n ended up throwing away as it fell apart when taken out so won't bother again

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 21:27:17

I also cook loads of veg in passata, season blend and freeze in portions, can be added to mince, fish, meaballs plain pasta, ot thinned down as tomato soup. Goes so far.

Swede can be cooked and mashed then frozen, as can carrots (i dont like them frozen uncooked either)

PavlovtheCat Wed 20-Aug-08 21:30:18

Shoshe - I do that too! grin

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 21:36:31

I also mash down any cooked leftover root veg, and freezer then use it to make gravy, decieved even the harden non veg eater grin

I make veg soup, and mash is so that its chunky and freeze too. grin

beansmum Wed 20-Aug-08 21:40:56

So all my broccoli will be disgusting sad. I suppose it'll be ok in soup or something?

Shoshe Wed 20-Aug-08 21:44:04

Turn it into Broccoli and Stilton soup, delish grin

Or mix with passata, and cauliflower and make Veg lasagna.

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 22:16:40

beansmum, it may be ok, i've only ever tried it once and the funny 'bobbly' bits on the ends fell of and it all fell apart. will probably still taste the same, just not look the same iyswim

veg lasagne sounds yummy

reesysmum Thu 21-Aug-08 16:41:08

Yes, you can definitely freeze onions, as long as you dice, chop or slice them first. Make sure they go into the freezer bag dry. I also find this technique works well with fresh herbs. Just make sure you wash and dry them thoroughly before freezing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now