Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me your bestest roast potato recipes please!

(12 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Wed 20-Aug-08 19:17:01

I'm interested in fluffy and soft on the inside and golden brown and crunchy on the outside. Happy to use any amount of lard etc to acheive this!

Aitch Wed 20-Aug-08 19:18:04

goose fat. and rough 'em up a bit before hitting the scalding hot fat. oh, and king edwards or similar.

beansmum Wed 20-Aug-08 19:20:03

peel, parboil, drain. Then chuck back in the pan, put in a bit of semolina, put the lid on and give it a good shake around to soften the edges of the potatoes up a bit.

Put into preheated (as hot as poss) goose fat in a baking tray. cook for ages.

TheArmadillo Wed 20-Aug-08 19:20:13

what she said and sprinkle a little flour over them as well.

I usually par boil for about 20 mins as well and use a fork to rough them up.

plantsitter Wed 20-Aug-08 19:21:43

My flatmate at uni taught me this (she wasn't yer typical boozy student):

peel and halve potatoes (depending on size) and boil for 10 - 15 minutes until they're soft on outside but a knife still sticks in the middle.

Meanwhile pour some (i.e. more than you ought to) oil in a baking tray and heat in a hot oven.

Drain the potatoes, then return them to the heat for a few seconds. Put a lid on the pan and give it a vigorous shaking.

Take out the heated tray, tip potatoes in, stir about a bit to coat with oil and put back in oven for about 30 mins.

Yummy.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 20-Aug-08 19:21:55

Use King Edward potatoes.

Parboil till starting to go soft on outside
(about 8 mins.) Drain and shake to dry them
a bit and also rough up the outside.

meanwhile melt some butter in baking tray,
then bung in spuds, turn over till coated
and then into preheated oven about 200 for
45 mins or so turning once or twice. You dont
want them swimming in grease.

liath Wed 20-Aug-08 19:22:14

I par boil floury potatoes for about 10 minutes. Have lard (usually chicken fat from previous roast) in the oven at same time.

Drain potatoes then give them a bit of a shake. I'll add some polenta or semolina while shaking them if I want them extra cruncy.

Tip into hot fat then turn them all over so they are nicely covered. Season and roast. I don't usually turn them again so that the bottoms get all brown and crunchy. I usually roast them at 180 or so for a couple of hours.

EyeballsintheSky Wed 20-Aug-08 19:23:17

<<smacks lips and dribbles a bit>> I might just stay in all weekend and cook roasties in my new oven. After all, I need to see how it cooks, don't I?

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 20-Aug-08 19:23:29

You need a Tupperware tub, or click lock type tub, anything with a good seal.

Par boil spuds

Strain

Tip into tub, with a few table spoons of plain flour, a grind or seven of black pepper and a good pinch of salt.

Lid on TIGHT

Shake well, then into hot hot hot fat until brown and cripsy.

Lemontart Wed 20-Aug-08 19:31:39

Same as most above:
Cut King Ed pots into evenly sized pieces
Par boil in salted water for 10 mins and then drain/bash up to fluff edges
While pots are boiling, put the tray with fat in the oven. If I am doing a roast, I time it so that the meat is out resting (covered in foil on a draining tray) for the last 30 mins and use the tray with the meat juices all hot and ready for the pots. Tasty this way! If not, then I use a nice heavy deep roasting tin with enough goose fat (ideally) to have a 1cm deep sizzling hot liquid.
Once par boiled and bashed, transfer to roasting tin - oil/fat must sizzle or not hot enough. I tip it carefully enough to spoon a little fat over the tops of the pots. Then I sprinkle a little pre-prepared sea salt and freshly grated parmesan on the top.
Turn halfway through. When turning I spoon a little oil to check for any uncovered spots and sprinkle the rest of the salt/parmesaon mix.

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 19:40:16

Eyeballs, good thread!! My roasts are never like that so will be making notes

EyeballsintheSky Wed 20-Aug-08 19:48:57

I'm overwhelmed with embarrassment that I spelled achieve incorrectly in my op. Hope there are no pedants around.

Now back to spuds. Is there such a thing as a bake spud off?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now