Talk

Advanced search

Getting oven on Saturday, what shall I make?

(25 Posts)
EyeballsintheSky Wed 20-Aug-08 12:19:26

Due to the fact that we're disorganised and dead lazy, I haven't had a working oven since April blush but it's finally coming on Saturday morning and I'm dying to make something so I can test it out and renew my acquaintance with oven-based catering!

So I need suggestions for lovely, fairly simple things to make that an idiot can do. Sweet or savoury considered, preferably something that DD (7mo) can partake of but not the end of the world if not. All I can think of is pizza and chicken kiev at the moment but I think that's just craving rather than a sensible suggestion

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 15:49:55

shortbread? bread? make a pie of some variety? flapjacks (they'd get my vote)!!

have a quick shortbread recipe if you want or flapjack that someone on here gave me

MrsStig Wed 20-Aug-08 15:52:48

merangues - aparently they only work in a pristine oven.

I've never had a pristine oven, so have never made any.

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 15:55:38

really MrsStig?? mines brand new too, may make some.

oooooooh . . . . lemon meringue pie!!!!! yummy yummy yummy

EyeballsintheSky Wed 20-Aug-08 16:26:40

Ooh lovely. Recipes please (she says cheekily!)

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 17:04:27

shortbread

125g butter/marg
55g caster sugar
180g plain flour

Heat oven to 190C. Cream marg & sugar together, stir in flour until it looks doughy, roll out & cut. Sprinkle with sugar & place on greased baking tray in hot oven for 15 - 20 mins

bread i'll have to look up if you want it.

Chocolate concrete's yummy n simple too
12oz plain flour
7oz melted marg
3oz granulated sugar
4 heaped tablespoons cocoa powder (drinking choc does same job)

mix dry ingredients together well, add marg and mix well until mixture is dough like and doesn't stick to mixing bowl. Place in a greased baking tin (i use an oven proof dish that i make lasagnes in) & press down firmly. Sprinkle with a bit more sugar. Bake for about 30mins at 180C. It hardens as it cools and is yummy with custard.

I'll see what else I've got in my little book later on as lo wants tea. Anything in particular you fancy out of curiosity?

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 17:05:22

oh btw, sorry measurements are in g and ounces, I don't have a clue how to convert from one to the other smile

EachPeachPearMum Wed 20-Aug-08 17:11:07

Roast chicken and roast potatoes, and a crumble to follow smile

And then give us all some!

EyeballsintheSky Wed 20-Aug-08 17:12:59

No problem, I have my trusty Lakeland converter fridge magnet. They look scrummy, thank you

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 18:07:12

roast chicken n roast spuds gets my vote too!!

EyeballsintheSky Wed 20-Aug-08 19:13:39

Yummy, a roast and crumble. That's Sunday lunch sorted. Form an orderly queue outside the door then...

Ooh that reminds me. Hang on, off to start a new thread

EachPeachPearMum Wed 20-Aug-08 20:55:59

<slaver>

EachPeachPearMum Sun 24-Aug-08 20:05:15

What did you make Eyeballs???

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:34:07

beat me to it EachPeach!! Was wondering if the roast dinner got lost in the post or postie ate it on way hmm grin

EyeballsintheSky Sun 24-Aug-08 21:42:45

<<wail! sob! moan!>>

I let everybody down <<wail>> Oven is indeed sitting in kitchen in its allocated hole... NO GAS! Our gas bloke let us down and every other plumber etc has gone on holiday for the bank hol, and goodness knows we rang them all.

However, we did go out for lunch and I had the most gorgeous chicken and chorizo linguine. Yum

I think he's coming on Tuesday so check back next Sunday folks for the update and I'll have the tupperware ready to distribute roasties/crumble/shortbread.

YumeeMumee Sun 24-Aug-08 21:52:00

Awww...that's a shame Eyeballs but at least you got to have a lovely lunch anyway!
Can I have custard with my crumble please?!grin

EyeballsintheSky Sun 24-Aug-08 21:53:47

It'll have to be Birds, Yummee. I don't do home made custard!

<<lazy>>

YumeeMumee Sun 24-Aug-08 21:55:09

I'm not fussy grin

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:57:42

never mind Eyeballs! there's always next weekend to give it a whirl. and you got to have a lovely lunch out and about!

just don't forget to burn off whatever crap it is on the hob/in the oven & grill before you use them like I did. Made cheese on toast for lo and only realised as she was about to eat it that it was in fact the cheese on toast that stunk!!!!!

EyeballsintheSky Sun 24-Aug-08 22:22:22

Well I will be back in a few days to ask for tips on how to keep it nice and sparkly. I've never had a new oven, always inherited whatever is there when I've moved in so they're always manky because I'm a lardarsed corner cutting slattern they're very old. It's so gleamy at the moment that I'd be scared to use it even if I could. The racks are silver ffs! shock I thought oven racks were a kind of browny black?

EachPeachPearMum Sun 24-Aug-08 22:39:55

Oh Eyeballs- that is gutting (for your family I mean, not us wink)
Hope it gets sorted soon.

EyeballsintheSky Sun 24-Aug-08 22:45:38

Nice try EachPeach. I know full well you were eyeing up the roasties! wink

lucysmam Mon 25-Aug-08 10:56:14

Eyeballs, I've been cleaning the racks as I've gone along with my new one, they WILL stay sparkly! and wiping the top down with soapy water to get rid of any spills. And, wiping up spills from inside after they've cooled down (actually my oh thinks I'm being a bit anal about it because "we bought it to use it" ) but it's nice to have something shiny and brand new

I've always iherited manky old ovens too when I've moved into places so trying to keep mine sparkly and new looking too whilst getting plenty of use out of it at the same time

lucysmam Tue 26-Aug-08 19:51:00

did the man come to sort the gas out Eyeballs?

lucysmam Sun 31-Aug-08 10:31:10

Sooooo, is the roast dinner at your house today eyeballs?? Am drooling with anticipation waiting for your roasties! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now