Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is ALL packet food crap?

(23 Posts)
gameboy Wed 20-Aug-08 02:36:30

Have been doing my Tesco shop and for some reason found myself looking at packet rice/ pasta. I've never tried this kind of stuff, and although I know in theory I can knock up mediterranean cous cous or something, the chances are, that the day I want to do it we won't have any tomatoes / herbs etc.

So I just wondered if any of these things are at all nice and not too unhealthy?

(Hazy memories of Vesta Rice from student days haunt me...)

SuperBunny Wed 20-Aug-08 02:43:30

I think they're ok every now and then and are very useful as a back-up. I'd check the ingredients though - things like that tend to have a lot of salt in them but if it is a one-off it doesn't matter all that much.

SuperBunny Wed 20-Aug-08 02:44:32

I don't like the flavoured couscous though. I'd rather have the plain stuff but that's probably just me. I have a soft spot for Boxed Mac&Cheese blush

Overmydeadbody Wed 20-Aug-08 20:19:24

Just read the ingredient lists, that'll tell you more than any posts on MN could tell you.

It varies, obviously, almost all food comes in a packet doesn't it?

Overmydeadbody Wed 20-Aug-08 20:20:54

superbunny I prefer plain couscous too, with a nice thick spicy tagine to go with it!grin

SuperBunny Thu 21-Aug-08 00:58:58

Yum!

nappyaddict Thu 21-Aug-08 02:55:06

i think they are a waste of money. we do have tinned custard though.

moondog Thu 21-Aug-08 05:59:35

Crap. Full of crap.
What is the point, when plain so much nicer? If I didn't have the works to go with it, I'd rather have plain rice with sesame oil and soy than weird packets.

BouncingTurtle Thu 21-Aug-08 06:04:44

I'd prefer to have the plain stuff and flavour it up myself with whatever I had in the cupboard.
Besides I really dislike peppers and these things inevitably have peppers in!

moondog Thu 21-Aug-08 06:06:32

My only exception is instant noodles of Korean/Japanese/Chinese ilk which I suppose are full of crapbut taste damned fine.

TheProvincialLady Thu 21-Aug-08 07:51:09

Oh no those packet pastas/cous cous are vile and full of chemicals. Definitely much nicer to have it plain or with just olive oil and tabasco if desperate!

LittleDorrit Thu 21-Aug-08 10:49:59

I agree - they always seem to taste a bit strange.
Moondog - I am the same - instant noodles are my secret vice !

moondog Thu 21-Aug-08 16:27:56

What is unforgivable is that a lot are endorsed by the very people who are telling you that proper cooking is easy.
Ainsley Harriott, Lloyd Grossman et al.
Whores. angry

mellyonion Thu 21-Aug-08 16:35:47

i can never seem to find plain couscous..its always flavoured....can you get plain in tesco?

Fizzylemonade Thu 21-Aug-08 17:16:04

Yes it comes in a packet! grin we have it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 21-Aug-08 17:37:41

A free couscous came with sainsburys magazine this month. it was utterly revolting - dds reaction was 'no wonder its free'

PoorOldEnid Thu 21-Aug-08 17:39:07

lol @ whores

I agree re packet noodles - wonton flavour

they are sooooooooooooooooo good

PoorOldEnid Thu 21-Aug-08 17:40:23

I make plain couscous with marigold bouillon powder and then a bit of olive oil stirred in at the end for the dds

couldn't be easier and is very 'store cupboard ish'

they have it with sausages etc

Mercy Thu 21-Aug-08 17:42:50

We had wonton noodles for lunch today.

Tbh I can't get remotely excited about couscous.

JudyJones Fri 22-Aug-08 17:40:47

DH and I always have some Uncle Bens Ready Rice in the cupboard -- I seem to remember the ingredient list was not as horrifying as I thought it would be. Ok, so it's pricey, but it takes literally two mins in the saucepan, can make a quite ordinary meal - like salad and cold meat - a bit special (both very handy when you come in exhausted from work) and proved a life saver when we had a vegan in the house for a few weeks...

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 22-Aug-08 18:01:23

I tried the free couscous from the Sainsbury's magazine, (normally a vehement rejecter of all things packeted, noodles excepted), because of this thread. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The ingredients list wasn't that bad either.

(Mind you, I did add butter and some hot pepper sauce!)

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 22-Aug-08 20:33:41

hot pepper sauce would have helped - fab accessory for camping.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Fri 22-Aug-08 20:36:18

I never usually make packet meals (smug) but when we were camping in the summer we tried the ainsley harriott couscous-es and I have to say they were really nice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now