Talk

Advanced search

How much MILK for a 7 month old???

(17 Posts)
jessicasmummy Wed 16-Feb-05 15:40:09

Jess is almost 7 months, and the HV gave me a severe telling off this afternoon because jess is still having 3 or 4 bottles a day...... she says one first thing and one last thing and thats it!

elliesmoomoo Wed 16-Feb-05 15:45:34

I don't bottle feed but IMHO I would say its up to you how much milk you think your baby needs. I read somewhere babies need at least a pint of milk each day up to a year AT LEAST!!!! So I would say go with your instincts. I cant see how it would be anything but good for her. Actually I used to be a nursery nurse and most babies that age have 4 bottles a day!!!!!!

Sponge Wed 16-Feb-05 15:58:35

They still need at least a pint a day as elliesmoomoo says.
Harry is 6.5 months and still has 4 bottles in the day and one or two at night so I'd hate to come up against your HV!

jessicasmummy Wed 16-Feb-05 16:18:13

thanks guys.... i thought she was being a bit harsh!!!

elliesmoomoo Wed 16-Feb-05 16:23:07

yeah stick to ur instincts

Bozza Wed 16-Feb-05 16:25:05

DD was having two 7 oz bottles plus two breastfeeds. But soon after dropped one of the bottles (mid morning).

HappyMumof2 Wed 16-Feb-05 16:25:26

Message withdrawn

jessicasmummy Wed 16-Feb-05 16:49:29

thats my thought too - she has 3 meals a day - with yoghurt after lunch and a "pudding" after tea.... i think she is getting plenty and her weight is dead on average! Bloody HV's!!!

KathH Thu 17-Feb-05 08:45:34

after having 3 kids that hated milk i'd have been really chuffed if they were having 3 or 4 bottles of milk at that age! Surely with them saying you shouldnt wean until 6 months isn't it good your lo's still having a lot of milk?

Twiglett Thu 17-Feb-05 08:49:09

tell your hv to butt out

you don't have to see them you know .. you're the mum .. they don'tr have the right to 'tell you off'

Bozza Thu 17-Feb-05 09:00:09

I think KathH has a very good point. You're not supposed to start solids until 6 months. Then when DH took DD for her 7 month check up the HV asked if she was eating lumps. Thought that was a lot to expect in just one month (although as it happens she was). It seems to me that they have upped the weaning age to 6 months but not moved any of their other expectations in line with this.

hayleylou Thu 17-Feb-05 09:03:17

My dd is 7 months and she only has 3 bottles but her teatime one she is drink less each time!!! Just a quick question... do bottles need to be steralised until 1 year!! Sorry bad spelling with one hand and baby in the other

jessicasmummy Thu 17-Feb-05 12:12:47

been told only teats need sterilised after 6 months.... all dd's stuff goes through the dishwasher and hv reckons its ok not to sterilise as the dishwasher does it apparently!!!

lunarx Thu 17-Feb-05 12:17:05

ds is 7.5 months old and still has on a average of 16-18 ounces of milk a day. hv told me that they usually like to see babies having at least 16 ounces a day but that can also include formula used in food preparation, yogurt, cheese... he eats three meals daily.

perhaps see another HV ? or ask your GP for advice if HVs aren't satisfing your questions...

jessicasmummy Thu 17-Feb-05 12:18:57

well im moving to colchester next week so will have a new hv anyway.... hope she is a bit better! been told 20oz for jess but she is having approx 32-38oz a day! Not including yoghurt etc.... how much milk is in yoghurt anyway??? i dunno! Im just letting her tell me what she wants!

sasa15 Thu 17-Feb-05 12:43:09

ds is having 3 bottles and gradually having more solids....

p.s. can you put avent bottles in dishwasher?

jessicasmummy Thu 17-Feb-05 12:44:04

yes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now