Talk

Advanced search

Hairy bakers - top bread recipe

(11 Posts)
Katisha Tue 19-Aug-08 15:23:01

I made the Hairy Bakers classic brown loaf as seen on tv last night. You have to let it ferment overnight which is no big deal. I have to say it's the most successful loaf (or loaves actually - it makes a lot) I have ever made.

Will have a go at their white bread next to see if that is also as foolproof.

georgiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 15:27:13

That's a great recipe but I don't use any salt (doesn't really need it) when I make bloomers.

When I make the white bread I don't use salt and only use 1 tablespoon of olive oil (for 500g of flour). Cooks, tastes and keeps fine.

Try making bagels - they are much easier than you think and really, really tasty when home made.

dandycandyjellybean Tue 19-Aug-08 17:03:19

I always thougth salt was essential to the process, reacts with the yeast and sugar?

Katisha Tue 19-Aug-08 17:04:07

I think you do need salt - better taste. Salt in itself is not evil.

georgiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 18:01:51

I started leaving out the salt as an experiment (someone requested it as they were on a low sodium diet) and it does work fine. I can't tell the difference (but I tink my tastebuds are shot anyway). I always thought that sugar was essential but I think that's if you use certian types of yeast.

I have also found a recipe for bread that doesn't need andy kneading at all. If anyone wants it I can post it in the recipes section. It is very easy to make and comes out nice. I found it for a relative who has arthritus and had given up making bread because of her hands. She now uses this recipe and is really happy with it.

There really isn't much nicer than a home made loaf...

Lemontart Tue 19-Aug-08 18:06:53

I thought the salt acted as a natural stabilising agent on the yeast growth process and a little is necessary to make the bread rise properly. All about the balance between the salt and the sugar on the growth and speed of growth of the yeast? Definitely not just about taste and health implications - I find less salt is ok but never risked zero salt before. Perhaps it depends on the type of yeast and whether you use the quick rise action stuff or the more natual slow fermentation process?

georgiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 18:15:46

Maybe it's the yeast. I use the Dove's farm 'dried active' yeast. I have used it in normal and the slow fermentation recipes. Maybe it's if you use the type that comes in a block?

Why not try no-salt and see what you think? I haven't poisoned anyone - yet!

dandycandyjellybean Thu 21-Aug-08 09:53:18

sorry hun, agree with katisha, don't add salt to many things, chips, boiled eggs, and home made bread.

Katisha Thu 21-Aug-08 17:19:33

Just reporting back on the Hairy Bakers white loaf recipe - worked brilliantly as well.
Very simple, very effective.

georgiemum Fri 22-Aug-08 14:47:38

I am making bagels today - hooray! Does anyone else get excited in the flour aisle in the supermarket? Made and apple and banana loaf yesterday... I am turning into my mum!!!

micku5 Sun 24-Aug-08 18:13:50

georgiemum, would you mind posting the recipes for the bread and bagels.

Before I had dd2 I used to make my own bread but have since lost the recipes. Would love to start making it again. I love the smell of freshly baked bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now