Talk

Advanced search

mozarella. . . . what would you make with it or put it with?

(21 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-08 12:33:37

as above really. just curious what i could do with it if i got some on my next shop

TheArmadillo Tue 19-Aug-08 12:39:00

tomato and mozerella salad - lay alternate layers of tomato and mozarella in slices. Drizzle pesto over top and plenty of balck pepper.

With chicken breasts - flatten them. Put hunk of moz. in middle with some pesto or roasted peppers or just fresh herbs and black pepper. Wrap chicken breast up in either parma ham, streaky bacon or proscuttio and secure with cocktail stick (soaked in water so doesn't burn).

Will think of more

MrsMattie Tue 19-Aug-08 12:43:05

Tomato, avocado and mozarella salad is nice for lunch.

Tomato & mozarella toasties are divine.

Make pizza?

I make a 'Mediterranean' pasta bake (Jamie Oliver recipe) which is basically a lovely fresh tomato sauce, loads of fresh basil and pasta topped with chunks of buffalo mozarella and baked at high temp until it goes all oozy and gorgeous. Yum.

MaureenMLove Tue 19-Aug-08 12:43:26

Pizza?

SqueakyPop Tue 19-Aug-08 12:44:21

tomatoes, avocadoes, balsamic vinegar

Ledodgy Tue 19-Aug-08 12:46:02

Roast a pepper and stuff with flavoured couscous or rice and top with mozzerella, stick under grill until it has melted. Divine.

TheArmadillo Tue 19-Aug-08 12:47:50

burgers with melting cheesy centre - make basic burgers (with what ever favouring you prefer) and wrap mozarella into middle of each - melts when cooked and lovely when you slice them open.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-08 12:48:07

pasta bake sounds tasty, we're having that tonight with hm tomato sauce so may get some today to try it out. how would you make pizza? i know that sounds daft but i mean the bases not the actual toppings. and, what do you use for the tomato paste type stuff that's usually under the toppings?

love salad so would give that a go too at some point although not keen on stuff like avocado. toasties are another firm fave here

i take it you just use like you would any other type of cheese really for salads/pizzas/pasta?

TheArmadillo Tue 19-Aug-08 12:48:53

yeah. It's very bland though so need strong flavours with it.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-08 12:49:04

TheArmadillo, how do you make basic burgers? only ever had shop bought ones before and not had them for ages!

LackaDAISYcal Tue 19-Aug-08 12:49:43

i like to eat it straight from the packet, but it's best if left for ages so it gets nice and ripe and goes gooey on the inside.

Alternatively, tomato, mozzarella and basil salad is delicious, especially if it's all is marinated in olive oil for a few hours and remember to serve at room temperature.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-08 12:50:03

not too salty for lo is it? although i can't see it if it's quite bland n you need strong flavours with it

TheArmadillo Tue 19-Aug-08 12:51:05

mince, chopped onion (about 1/2 -1 large one depending on how much you like), 1 beaten egg mixed together. Some add breadcrumbs but I find it gets too dry then. Then add chilli powder/black pepper/herbs what ever you fancy. Shape and cook as you would normally.

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 19-Aug-08 12:51:07

Message withdrawn

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-08 12:52:20

am investing in a basil plant today so will be giving salad a go with it at some point.

lucysmam Tue 19-Aug-08 12:54:20

cheers TheArmadillo, mince going on my shopping list for next week at Asda. NotDoingTheHousework, that sounds very tasty too! am starting to get hungry now!!!

Tinkjon Wed 20-Aug-08 22:42:17

If you're happy to pay a bit more then Bufala di Campana (sp?) mozzarella is a world away from the other stuff. It is so much nice that words really can't describe it. Better flavour, texture.... it barely makes it home from the shop before I've opened the pack and scoffed the lot

lucysmam Wed 20-Aug-08 23:09:19

Tinkjon, do they sell it at asda or tesco? or co-op?

Tinkjon Thu 21-Aug-08 15:01:32

D'nt know about co-op, but Asda & Sainsburys sell it... in fact I bought some for lunch today as it made me think about it

thornrose Thu 21-Aug-08 15:05:10

Somerfield sell the "posh" one, I agree it's worlds apart, I want some now!

lucysmam Thu 21-Aug-08 15:30:42

somerfield just up the road, will try in there, cheers Tinkjon & thronrose. I got some sainsbury's own the other night for on top of a pasta bake n it was yummy! all stringy n chewy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now