Talk

Advanced search

blardy great marrow,...don't like ginger so the jam thing is out...what else?

(13 Posts)
dandycandyjellybean Tue 19-Aug-08 11:54:49

Other than stuffing the beggar which I'm not sure I fancy, tend to end up leaving the marrow and just eating the stuffing blush. So how to transform it into several healthy cheap family meals? come on girls I know you can do it. grin

halogen Tue 19-Aug-08 12:09:05

Pakora? Cut thin slices, dip in gram flour batter with a bit of curry powder and chopped fresh coriander in it, shallow fry.

megglevache Tue 19-Aug-08 12:11:32

make a curry with it. My MIL does a lovely fresh tasting one with tomatoes, tumeric, chillis, salt, pepper, garam masala and fresh tomatoes/coriander. It's quite runny but very fresh tasting.

megglevache Tue 19-Aug-08 12:12:21

Mke soup with double cream added for extra yummminess?

dandycandyjellybean Tue 19-Aug-08 16:42:07

Mmmm, liking the pakora thing, got some cauli too so that would work. And the soup recipe. Made a massive pot of curry about 3 days ago to use up all the courgettes and a massive cauli head I'd been given from neighbours allotment!!! but thanks anyway meggle.

halogen Tue 19-Aug-08 18:18:16

I do pakora like that with courgettes and aubergine so I don't see why marrow wouldn't work. It sounds good to me too (am actually contemplating buying a marrow to find out).

Bronze Tue 19-Aug-08 18:19:01

muffins

dandycandyjellybean Tue 19-Aug-08 22:03:21

recipe please bronze? sounds like a fab way of using it!!!

Bronze Wed 20-Aug-08 00:00:12

Sorry am back now. Here

muffins
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 12-15 mins

Serves: 14

Ingredients

115g butter or margarine
175g brown sugar
115g golden syrup/honey
225g cooked and mashed marrow1 egg, beaten
200g plain flour, sieved
pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
50g currants/raisins

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 20-Aug-08 00:05:04

Chop into 3inch square chunks, and place in bin.

dandycandyjellybean Thu 21-Aug-08 14:16:49

so far have made curry with loads of veg and loads of courgette, last night made courgette and mushroom gratin - roasted courgette and mushroom on high heat with loads of black pepper, butter and garlic. Oven roasted sliced onions with chilli oil. Cooked brown rice with kallo stock until stodgy, stirred the one into the other, loosened with a dash of white wine (would have added a dash of veggie worcester sauce at this stage had I had any!!!) then put in dish and sliced chilli brie on top and grilled. Served with courgette and mushroom bread. Was pretty damn scrummy actually! Have some of the roasted veg left so am making a creamy mushroom sauce for pasta tonight, and will add the veggies, along with some spinach. Will finsih the other courgette and mushroom loaf to mop up sauce. mmmmm, washed down with nice bottle of rose......mouth watering.....

Will be trying the muffin recipe with the last of the blardy great marrow, thanks bronze.

Rhumba Thu 21-Aug-08 21:07:08

this is yum did the first one the the rosemary one

"thiswww.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chorizopepperandcous_75307.shtml"

not tried links so here goes

Rhumba Thu 21-Aug-08 21:08:06

sorry I meant the first one NOT the rosemary one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now