Talk

Advanced search

Electric steamers - Yay or nay?

(9 Posts)
Legoleia Mon 18-Aug-08 10:54:19

We have one given as a gift - I half-heartedly steamed some broccoli in it and then it got packed to the back of the cupboard.

Do you use one? what for? Convince me to keep it or it's going on eBay!

TIA

nell12 Mon 18-Aug-08 10:56:39

We use it all the time... especially on a Sunday with all the veggies that go with the roast lunch.

You just have to make sure that you put the longer to cook veg on the bottom tier and the veg that cooks in a trice in the top tier. Then use the water that drips down to make the gravy.

I also use it to steam the Christmas puds.

palaver Mon 18-Aug-08 11:03:27

I use mine daily for steaming veg. It is however a small metal electric one with one tier and is ideal for steaming a couple of small portions of veg for the kids tea.

herbietea Mon 18-Aug-08 11:05:06

Message withdrawn

MatNanPlus Mon 18-Aug-08 11:07:49

When ever i am cooking veggies and have used it for pasta and rice before as well as chicken and fish, done in a trice and so little clean up

lucysmam Mon 18-Aug-08 15:48:39

if i had the space i'd have one!! my mate has one she uses every day without fail for the kids and their teas

Tigerschick Mon 18-Aug-08 15:52:12

I use mine a lot - tho not so much in the summer as we have salad more often than not.
It's great for chicken and fish as well as veggies.
Haven't tried pasta or rice but have heard that it's good for them, too.

Flier Mon 18-Aug-08 15:54:46

i got given one too and, while i liked the food i got from it (veggies as well as cooked chicken and savoury rice -yum) it was a bit faffy to clean and a bit cumbersome, so I bought a stove top one which I like, altho can't do rice in it on the same way, but thats no great hardship grin

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 18-Aug-08 16:18:01

Those of you mentioning pasta - is there is a special way of doing it, or just bung it in like veg? Use mine lots for veg, but never even occurred to me to try pasta in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now