Talk

Advanced search

left over roast chicken, desperate for new ideas!

(24 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Sun 17-Aug-08 20:15:13

we usually have a risotto or a stew.

boring!

any other ideas?

thanks!

katiepotatie Sun 17-Aug-08 20:17:55

I made chicken broth yesterday, and home made pot noodle today, with our left over chook.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 17-Aug-08 20:18:00

Curry

That's my repertoire exhausted

grin

NutterlyUts Sun 17-Aug-08 20:18:05

got enough for something like chicken wraps with rice?

hatwoman Sun 17-Aug-08 20:19:03

if the chicken's decent enough (ie not just stuff that's only good for stews) a good salad - with red pepper, avocado, mushrooms, bacon, crutons, and a really good dressing. or a chicken and ham pie - stock, white sauce, bought pastry, easy. or a curry with sweet potatoes

Bewilderbeast Sun 17-Aug-08 20:19:09

chicken pie, chicken, mushrooms, any nice veg you might have, wine and chicken stock or water that has had porcini mushrooms soaked in it if you are watching salt intake, maybe some bacon or pancetta. With a puff pastry lid. yummy.

SqueakyPop Sun 17-Aug-08 20:20:55

Chicken pie:

Make a roux with butter, a chicken stock cube, and flour. Make a sauce by adding milk. Add the cooked chickenn and some frozen peas and/or corn.

Put in a pie dish and top with ready made puff pastry.

Put in the oven for half an hour.

moondog Sun 17-Aug-08 20:22:13

In a salad with leaves, walnutsand pomegranate seeds.
Or mix 1/2 and 1/2 plain youghurt and good mayo. Add squeeze of lemon, sultanas, flaked almonds and tablespoon of curry paste and fold in shredded chicken.

Doodle2U Sun 17-Aug-08 20:22:36

Cold chicken butties - with mayo & stuffing. Excellent fodder to watch the 10 O'Clock news with smile

smittenkitten Sun 17-Aug-08 20:23:18

chicken noodle soup. cook up stock pop and pop in noodles, sweetcorn and shredded leftover chicken. yummy

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 17-Aug-08 20:23:22

Mix up with crispy bacon and avocado for a lovely sandwich filling or toast topper.

roquefort Sun 17-Aug-08 20:23:22

Coronation chicken - make the sauce from mayonaise with curry paste and apricot jam to taste. Some rice salad and other salads to go with it.

mawbroon Sun 17-Aug-08 20:31:36

I often use the very last pickings off the carcas as part of a pizza topping.

JulesJules Sun 17-Aug-08 20:44:01

Another vote for chicken soup, add a couple of sliced potatoes, handful of pasta etc to chicken broth, cook, add chopped up chicken.

Or stir fry a pepper, an onion, add sliced cooked chicken and handful of cashew nuts, add cooked noodles and some soy sauce and sesame oil, snip in a couple of spring onions...

MonkeyMargot Sun 17-Aug-08 20:48:17

How about chicken fried rice? Chop the remains of chicken into small chunks (you can use every last scrap) and also save a dollop of gravy (if you made any). Pre-cook some rice, drain and set aside. Beat one egg, set aside.
Slice an onion and stir-fry in a large frying pan or wok. Add the chicken chunks and keep pan moving. Add rice, and create 3 small wells into which pour the beaten egg. Leave for 1 minute, then stir the egg through. If you have kept some gravy, add a dollop of this at this stage. Add some soy sauce, salt and pepper and serve with green salad. Delish!

Pendulum Sun 17-Aug-08 20:51:27

Mix cold chicken with green beans and lots of tapenade. (This is a Hugh F-W recipe. He makes his own tapenade, I don't)

Great on its own or with new pots & salad leaves.

stirlingmum Sun 17-Aug-08 22:12:27

I do chicken fried rice (as monkeymargot said) or Biryani, throwing cooked chicken and sliced green beans in for the last 5 minutes or so.

Or Chorizo & chicken rice - a bit like biryani, without the curry flavour.

Let me know if more info needed smile

DillyTanty Sun 17-Aug-08 22:15:26

two slices white bread, butter, oak leaf lettuce and a splash of balsamic. maybe some tomato if you're feeling racy.

there is NOTHING better than a white bread and chook sandwich. grin (apart from maybe moony's salad.

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 22-Aug-08 20:46:28

ooh you are all lovely thats fantastic ideas. we are going to have chicken again this sunday so I have more left overs!!!

stirlingmum, whats the chorizo and chicken rice? we love chorizo!

MissisBoot Fri 22-Aug-08 20:49:10

thai chicken curry - you can also chuck in leftover veg too!

Califrau Fri 22-Aug-08 20:54:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elk Fri 22-Aug-08 21:05:31

I often do sweet and sour chicken.

southeastastra Fri 22-Aug-08 21:07:45

how big are these chickens? i never have leftovers from my ones

mylittlemonsters Fri 22-Aug-08 21:11:53

I do chicken pie - the easy way - people ask for the recipe it is that good - but so blindigly easy!

Chicken
Whatever veg you want e.g. leeks, mushrooms, carrots etc
Cream of Chicken soup (yes I did say chicken soup) Any brand or tin, although have to say Duchy Chicken soup is really good.
Jus Rol all butter shortcrust pastry.

Cook veg as you would normally and add the chicken and soup.

Roll out the base and top and then put your pie together - cook at 180 degrees C for about 35 mins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now