Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

i am interested in the veg/meat boxes some people have mentioned,

(32 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 17-Aug-08 15:25:28

could someone tell me where to start looking for something local (doncaster, south yorks) and how much they pay/what they get and how often so i could work out if it would work for me. Hope that makes sense, tia smile

sarah293 Sun 17-Aug-08 15:27:58

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sun 17-Aug-08 15:31:35

Message withdrawn

ilovemydog Sun 17-Aug-08 15:34:28

riven, we just got an allotment - any good at growing veg?

hughjarssss Sun 17-Aug-08 15:36:07

They always seem much more expensive then the supermarkets

sarah293 Sun 17-Aug-08 16:05:46

Message withdrawn

Bronze Sun 17-Aug-08 16:09:25

We use another of the riverford ones- Nene. They're pretty reasonable good quality and make us be inventive with our cooking

ilovemydog Sun 17-Aug-08 16:16:23

whitefield road

sarah293 Sun 17-Aug-08 16:24:02

Message withdrawn

lucysmam Sun 17-Aug-08 16:50:16

what sort of stuff do you get in them?

how much do you pay ish and how often do you get them?

I don't drive so atm get taxi from asda which costs us £7 on top of shopping costs unless mil is going at same time.

do you find it makes life easier or do you get random stuff you've never heard of?

sorry about all the q's just trying to decide whether to give it a go

sarah293 Sun 17-Aug-08 16:57:00

Message withdrawn

pickie Sun 17-Aug-08 17:05:48

another vote for Riverford (Nene). Think it works out cheaper to buy from them then lets say Tescos plus the quality is much better. We used to order the large one (2 adults 2 DC) but then we eat a lot of veg.

Now we order just a fruit box and extra apples as have lots of vegetables in garden plus I won a weekly veg box for a year from another company and the quality is very poor!

lucysmam Sun 17-Aug-08 18:35:51

another question sorry, how long between box deliveries? weekly/fortnightly? or longer?

pickie, do you grow your own veg?? i wanted to give it a go but the only stuff i could find had to be planted around march, is there anything i could try over winter?

pickie Sun 17-Aug-08 18:45:20

have a look at realseeds' website they have most information you need for growing your own www.realseed.co.uk. Just my first year of growing vegatables so not really much help!

We normally order weekly but you can order when you need really, all done online.

Forgot to mention we also ordered the meat box from Riverford and it is very good quality meat and good value as well compared to organic in the shop but still expensive IYSWIM

lucysmam Sun 17-Aug-08 20:51:02

cheers pickie, will sit and have a look at that site tomorrow. hoping to get some planters/bits in the sales to give some bits a go

bratnav Sun 17-Aug-08 20:55:06

We used Riverford (in Somerset) and they were dreadful. We complained that a chicken and a mince pack had gone off after 2 days, and they tried to give us a bag of apples in return shock

We then refused to accept this as a reasonable substitution and held back a small amount of money to balance this, they are now threatening to take us to court for the outstanding balance angry

bratnav Sun 17-Aug-08 20:56:05

Oh, and on a previous delivery, 3 items of the veg box were mouldy, they also refused to sort this out too

pickie Sun 17-Aug-08 21:00:00

lucysmam- try freecycle as well for free seedlings/plants as I got some off there plus gave away lots.

Ready4anotherCoffee Sun 17-Aug-08 21:01:07

I get a box from the riverford (hampshire) and supplement it where I need to. I find the veg keeps so much better than the same from tesco, and is about the same only more convienent. The chap is usually happy for me to swap an item if needs be.

I get my fruit from the local market weekly, much cheapersmile

Onlyaphase Sun 17-Aug-08 21:02:39

Riven (or anyone) can you tell me what to do with chard? I've had it a couple of times in my veg bag and have little idea what to do with it?

Otherwise, I love my veg delivery, there is always something different in there I wouldn't have thought of buying myself. And I actually quite like the challenge of making sure I use all the different things up by the time the next delivery turns up.

We use a very local organic scheme, run from a nursery 2 miles away.

ilovemydog Sun 17-Aug-08 21:04:17

riven, have been trying to do a link to the allotment via bristol city council web site, but have failed totally. blush

lucysmam Sun 17-Aug-08 21:15:29

bratnav, thats a bit off putting. but have had a look at their site and apparently they don't deliver in my area so finding one that does is on my google list for tomorrow.

pickie, good idea, there's always loads on my local freecycle, i've only just decided over the past few weeks to give it a go so have never looked properly though!

tazmosis Sun 17-Aug-08 21:45:14

Abel & Cole are very good and you can indicate things you really don't like so they don't send it. They delivery weekly and the stuff is good quality. I used to use a local one but the quality wasn't too good.

Abel & Cole are national, but are supposed to be an excellent company to work for and ethical in all they do.

MerlinsBeard Sun 17-Aug-08 22:01:03

we have just started getting an abel and cole box once a fortnight. We don't eat much veg and although DS1&2 eat fruit, i don't so its a great way to make sure i actually eat properly! We get the baby box for now so we aren't wasting any and i also get eggs in my delivery.

No complaints so far

hughjarssss Sun 17-Aug-08 23:01:24

I think its because I don't normally buy organic that I find them expensive.

If there was a box scheme which wasn't exclusively organic I would be interested.
But then would that be against the whole point of box deliveries?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now