Talk

Advanced search

Healthy breakfast ideas for a cereal-refusing 8yo please!

(13 Posts)
Ceolas Sat 16-Aug-08 21:41:57

She hates milk and says it leaves a funny feeling at the back of her throat (I can identify with that).

She'd love to have a toasted bagel every morning but I'm not convinced all that white flour is the best to sustain her through a morning at school.

Find it difficult to see past cereal. We often have porridge too but she doesn't like that either hmm

Any suggestions?

Cappuccino Sat 16-Aug-08 21:43:12

fruit? a smoothie?

dh hates milk; he has had muesli with orange juice on before now

or muesli with thick yogurt?

lazaroulovespastries Sat 16-Aug-08 21:44:32

Big bowl of chopped up fruit and a bagel.

spudmasher Sat 16-Aug-08 21:45:48

I always find a protein based breakfast is better so I would try an omlette, or bacon (though not too much as high in salt), boiled eggs. Or have you ried french toast or pancakes though more carbs based have that protein kick from the eggs?

lazaroulovespastries Sat 16-Aug-08 21:45:49

I love cereal but I avoid it because milk doesn't agree with me.

lazaroulovespastries Sat 16-Aug-08 21:46:28

How about poached egg on a toasted muffin

falcon Sat 16-Aug-08 21:46:47

Protein based foods are probably better than cereal and satisfy for longer.

Will she eat eggs, hard boiled, french toast,smoothies or an omlette?

Actually you don't have to serve the traditional breakfast foods at all, leftovers or soup or even a sandwich could be nice, many people aren't fond of the usual breakfast dishes.

maidamess Sat 16-Aug-08 21:46:52

Scrambled egg, boiled egg, bacon, wholemeal muffins.

I don't think the bagels are anything to worry about, if thats what she likes. Can she take a snack for morning break too?

falcon Sat 16-Aug-08 21:50:30

Could she have wholewheat bagels? Or perhaps her white bagels with a protein based food, cream cheese or nut butter to counteract the effects of white flour?

Ceolas Sat 16-Aug-08 21:51:08

She does like french toast.

Like the fruit and bagel suggestion too

Ceolas Sat 16-Aug-08 21:52:07

She usually has an apple or a flapjack for morning break.

Not keen on peanut butter. Cream cheese might go down well.

shrooms Sun 17-Aug-08 23:20:27

Can't you try her with soya milk? It might be that she's slightly allergic to dairy and it coats her throat. Just a thought.

TBH, why does breakfast have to be breakfast foods? She could have leftovers from last night, a sandwich, crackers and cheese, fruit salad and (soy) yoghurt. x

georgiemum Sun 17-Aug-08 23:24:09

Porridge - can be made with milk so she many not notice it and you don't need to add milk to it to eat. Can always add fruit (blueberries are good) or chop a banana on top... or add dried fruit and nuts, or honey (even jam or nutela if you like)

Hmm, feeling peckish now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now