Talk

Advanced search

Any Dutch Coeliac's on here? im off to Holland in 10days time, would like advise pls

(14 Posts)
brainache Fri 15-Aug-08 15:29:15

Hi,

I am newly diagnosed coeliac and have just got a handle on it all.

Im off to Holland in 10days and wanted any tips on lovely food or as my family say "what normal food can you eat" lol

My family live in Hillegom (hope thats spelt correctly) does anyone know any local shops?
I was thinking of maybe ordering some food and get it delivered to Holland but i do not speak Dutch very well and can not read/write it.
Also i am still waiting for my dietician appointment (and i guess this is who i will get my perscription from)

All advise/ tips welcome smile

brainache Sat 16-Aug-08 16:06:58

Please is there anyone?

brainache Tue 19-Aug-08 17:19:17

One more try?

mawbroon Tue 19-Aug-08 17:39:56

I don't have coeliac's and I'm not Dutch (dh is half dutch though!) but I am sure there will be lots of things you can eat.

I will ask dh when he gets home.

Is it all forms of gluten that you have to avoid? Might be able to give you some vocab for checking packets etc

Phono Tue 19-Aug-08 18:00:34

Message withdrawn

mawbroon Tue 19-Aug-08 21:34:53

that sounds like a much better offer than mine Phono!

Phono Wed 20-Aug-08 12:00:56

Message withdrawn

brainache Sat 23-Aug-08 17:34:50

Oh guys thank you - i have been staying at mums house and she has no computer so have not been able to check on here. I'll email you now phono, hope its still ok grin

Thank you

brainache Sat 23-Aug-08 17:36:35

Oh and my appointment has finally arrived...........mid October!!!!
So i have to pay for this food for even longer sad
At lest i have a date now though

tribpot Sat 23-Aug-08 17:39:06

brainache - the Coeliacs Society will have some good resources for you, have you registered?

I'd take some basics with you but mostly what you'll need to do is just avoid stuff with wheat - like the beloved pancakes, sigh. So go for potatoes, rice, etc. Watch out for stuff like burgers and sausages; most have wheat, some don't. Eating out can be tricky - Indian food generally the best bet.

Sure Phono's friend's SIL will have lots of useful info too. Have a good holiday!

tribpot Sat 23-Aug-08 17:40:06

Sorry to hear you have so long to wait, keep in mind those of us (like my dh and ds) who test negative and so have to pay forever. With ds I could not possibly put him on gluten long enough for a meaningful test, alas.

brainache Sat 23-Aug-08 17:54:06

shockshock Indian food.....i didnt know that.

I had a HLA test done as i have other health problems and it would have been to dangerous for me to go back on the food for the test. The consultant was trying to convince me to go back on the food but i live on my own with a 3yr old and i would be to ill (cause of other health problems). In the end she offered me a HLA blood test. Have your dh and ds had this test? The guy taking the blood test said he had to put it in a different bottle to the normal Coeliac blood test bottle (i didnt know but they colour code the bottles lol)

Yep i have registered the other week but their forum looked scary lol. I received a welcome pack with a book of what i can eat.........god the things in there that i did not know i could have, i mean along the way i have been told i cant have x y or z and you know what ..... i can !! lol So taking that book with me for sure hehe

tribpot Sun 24-Aug-08 10:26:56

brainache - never heard about the HLA test, I shall look into this. Don't mind paying for it (cheaper than a lifetime supply of gluten-free food!) if it's non-standard.

Hope you're feeling better now you know what food to avoid? My ds has had something this week which has set him off again, not sure what. Sigh.

Phono Tue 26-Aug-08 10:02:56

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now