Talk

Advanced search

Anyone Know How to Make a Snitzel?

(20 Posts)
JumpingDizzy Fri 15-Aug-08 15:16:43

I'm going to my friend's house tomorrow and she's doing German food so I offered to make snitzels. Is there a good way to do them that isn't too difficult? I'll probably cook them at hers or she will but how do you prepare them? TIA

palaver Fri 15-Aug-08 15:23:00

put a slice of pork fillet between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and beat into submission with a rolling pin.

Dip in egg then breadcrumbs and fry.

palaver Fri 15-Aug-08 15:23:42

bbc recipe here

JumpingDizzy Fri 15-Aug-08 15:26:43

thank you palaver, seems really easy? smile

MuffinMclay Fri 15-Aug-08 15:26:53

Very easy, if a bit messy. This may not be authentic but it works well.

I use turkey escalopes, but it can be pork or veal.

You need to lay out the following in a line:
I plate of seasoned flour
1 plate of beaten egg
1 plate of breadcrumbs (I use panko ones, but you can make your own or buy others)

Go along the row of plates, dipping each piece of meat in the contents.

Heat a griddle pan (or frying pan) until very hot, with a bit of oil drizzled in there. Cook each one for a minute on each side until the breadcrumbs are golden (longer if pork or veal, I'd guess). That's it.

palaver Fri 15-Aug-08 15:30:35

wot no beating, muffin? that's no fun smile

MuffinMclay Fri 15-Aug-08 15:32:34

Oh yes, beating very important!

MascaraOHara Fri 15-Aug-08 15:37:31

Oh I love shnitzel.. had a fantastic one once in a creamy mushroom sauce (& wine?) sauce.. it was devine!

JumpingDizzy Fri 15-Aug-08 15:46:25

yes think i'll do a sauce too. Need to find a good one and we all love mushrooms smile

JumpingDizzy Fri 15-Aug-08 15:46:56

she's making those potato cakes with apple sauce mmmmmmm

falcon Fri 15-Aug-08 15:49:53

I love German food, I know it gets a bad name but I've never eaten so well as when I was in Munich.

I don't know what they do to the chicken's there but they were heavenly, and potato sald omg, and even the corn was incredible.

JumpingDizzy Fri 15-Aug-08 16:01:12

i love it too, think it's the sausages that people moan about? They're good too though.

I might take snapps what do you think?

falcon Fri 15-Aug-08 16:12:40

The sausages are incredible, I even love Weisswurst.

Schnapps would be fitting.

What are you having for dessert?

MascaraOHara Fri 15-Aug-08 20:25:35

I also love german food and the sausages are good!

dd also loves the sausages and salami's.. I really ought to take her over one year

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Fri 15-Aug-08 20:30:30

i can't bear the thought of snitzel. i was vegetarian on a field trip to vienna and all there was to eat was fecking wienerschnitzel. i had to make do with appel cakes of many many varieties.

falcon Fri 15-Aug-08 20:35:21

The Austrians and Germans are not renowned for their vegetarian food, soup,spatzle or potato salad is as good as it'll get unfortunately.

But if you're a meat eater it can be food heaven.

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Fri 15-Aug-08 20:37:46

i know! i warned dh about hte 'festivals of meat' before i took him to germany but he was still shocked by the 2 year old children gnawing on pig legs.

still 'loving' germany in case anyone chooses to get offended. i even love the festivals of meat!

JumpingDizzy Sat 16-Aug-08 11:50:50

I don't know what's for dessert falcon?
I'll have to get my arse into gear and get to morrisons for the pork.

falcon Sat 16-Aug-08 12:03:21

Hope you enjoy it.

JumpingDizzy Sun 17-Aug-08 11:50:58

They were great smile Friends love them. My mate's potato fritters and apple sauce were yummy and i got to take some home so kids and I will have them later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now