Talk

Advanced search

My kids prefer the texture of cheap sausages.....

(20 Posts)
padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 10:57:21

is there a quality sausage thats got a high meat content, no crap recipe but with the cheapy meat mush texture of richmond irish sausages? They don't eat them very often but fall on them like ambrosia when I cook them. Try as I might I cannot find a quality sausage that isnt more like a burger inside which isnt what they want - and as a treat it seems to me it should be exactly what they want

fluffyanimal Fri 15-Aug-08 10:59:03

If they don't eat them very often, don't lose sleep over it.

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 10:59:35

just give them the cheapo ones, if it's just an occasional treat and they are over tow years old it's not going to do them any harm.

Dropdeadfred Fri 15-Aug-08 11:00:12

yuk

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 11:00:58

Everything in moderation, that's my motto.

It's not the poison that kills, but the dose.

MrsWeasley Fri 15-Aug-08 11:02:34

Ask at your local butchers. We wanted a particular type of sausage but thin not the usual chunky ones for the DC and they made some on the next Sausage run!

padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 11:03:34

really mrsweaaley? thats amazing. I'll try that.

shinyshoes Fri 15-Aug-08 11:06:21

cheapo sausages actually only contain about 28% pork, the rest is made up of all kkinds of wierd and wonderful shit you can' t buy in the shops. hmm

I wouldnt touch these with someone elses pole, but thats just my opinion.

NotDoingTheHousework Fri 15-Aug-08 11:10:21

Message withdrawn

padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 11:11:49

shinyshoes - thats sort of what I was worried about. I quite like the whoops of delight that greet an announcement of sausages for tea but worry about the spookier ingredients - so I've tried the decent ones and just got sad-horrified-at-the-let-down-of-it-all faces. They have a fantastic diet, there is no fussyness and I have no worries but for some reason the thing that really makes them tick is the 'Shit, no food in the house' days when I buy stuff for dinner in the petrol station on the way home from work!

padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 11:15:01

NotDoingTheHouseWork - you and my eldest would get along famously then. She is much the same - professed favourite foods are mango, mussels, aiolli with green beans and bloody Richmond Irish sausages

mistypeaks Fri 15-Aug-08 11:15:22

I'm with you padboz. Me and DH lurve Richmond sausages, but when we had dcs switched to ones made from meat rather than whatever it is Richmond's contain. They're just not the same sad.
No advice, but I think I'll be following this thread to help me make my decision too.

MrsWeasley Fri 15-Aug-08 11:15:54

padboz: yes we are lucky to have a really good independant butcher (we havent got much else though) and I didnt have to buy the whole run either they let me just buy what I needed and they sold the rest in the shop. grin

AMumInScotland Fri 15-Aug-08 11:18:57

Yummy - Richmond Irish sausages are lovely. I always keep a pack in the freezer for emergencies, and serve them up with oven chips (also on standby in the freezer) and tins of beans.

So long as their usual diet is well-balanced, I don't see any problem with occasional "junk".

bobsyouruncle Fri 15-Aug-08 11:20:02

My dc like Tesco finest sausages, 80/85% pork (can't remember exactly). They have thinner chipolatas or chunkier ones, always go down well in my house!

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 11:23:03

padboz don't beat yourself up about it, shinyshoes figure's are actually wrong.

Here's the ingredients:

PORK (41%), WATER, PORK FAT (10%), RUSK, POTATO STARCH, SOYA PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, INGREDIENTS LESS THAN 1%: FLAVOURINGS, STABILISERS: DIPHOSPATES; GUAR GUM, ANTIOXIDANTS: VITAMIN C & E (E300 & E307), PRESERVATIVE: SODIUM METABISULPHITE, COLOUR: RED 2G., FILLED INTO NON UK BEEF CASINGS

So that's 51% pork and pork fat. Not bad really. The other 48% is made up of nothing harmfull, just various carbohydrates.

As for the final 1%, well, they may not be ingreidnets you find in your cupboard but at less that 1% they are not going to do your children any damage.

Overmydeadbody Fri 15-Aug-08 11:25:00

I wouldn't exxactly call those ingredients 'wierd and wonderful shit' tbh, it's pretty standard stuff in food manufacturing.

Sausages are processed foods, if they just contained meat protein they wouldn't be sausages, would they?

padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 11:27:37

thanks OMDB - to be honest I'm not beating myself up over it - if I was I wouldn't be giving them stuff I bought in the petrol station as a special treat Seems daft that no manufacturer has spotted the gap in the market though - several people here have expressed a preference for mush, and all it means is leaving the blender on for a minute longer!

serenity Fri 15-Aug-08 11:35:48

I think the problems meant to be what actually consitutes 'pork' - there's lots of talk of ears, snouts etc being part of that 41% (although I suppose it depends on the manufacturer)

TBH I don't and wouldn't stress about it too much, it's edible even if it's something I wouldn't choose to eat whole! I hate 'quality' sausages, they really have to be pink and smooth, but we eat them maybe once a month if that, so I don't think it's going to kill us (really really fancy a sausage sandwich now though grin)

mistypeaks Fri 15-Aug-08 11:40:19

I'm decided I'm going back to Richmond!!!
Like serenity says the stuff in them is edible even if it's not something you'd choose off a menu. Personally I wouldn't eat liver or kidney but plenty of people do . . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now