Talk

Advanced search

Wedding cake decoration ideas needed for tonight, help!

(23 Posts)

My sister just told me she's getting married in a secret gretna green ceremony early next week, and she's leaving for Scotland on saturday morning. Tres romantic!

I have an idea to buy her one of those ready made iced fruitcake jobbies from asda, and decorate it myself tonight before she comes over tomorrow. But what could I do to it tonight to make it look weddingy? Is it do-able?

It'd need to be something fairly simply, and most of all quick...

All ideas appreciated!

ladymoo Thu 14-Aug-08 19:16:03

Our wedding cake was homemade - really simple white icing 3 tiers sitting on top of each other (had to insert 4 dowling rods into the bottom 2 tiers so each layer wasn't sitting directly on top of the other one iykwim) fat ribbon around the edges & decorated with the same flowers I had - white roses - oh and the cake dec which was from confetti.

Hope that helps!

Califrau Thu 14-Aug-08 19:27:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Minkychunky Thu 14-Aug-08 19:29:44

Get yourself a huge bunch of pretty roses. Take off the petals and sugar them (egg wgite/caster sugar)and sprinke them all over the cakes to resemble confetti. Add a big ribbon in matching shade et voila.

That's how mine was done and it looked grand.

LynetteScavo Thu 14-Aug-08 19:29:45

I was going to say flowers, but they won't lat till early next week... will think again.

Sounds nice ladymoo! Simple is good, she's a simple sort anyway (I mean it in the good way!)

Yes, ribbon and flowers sounds nice. Hey, I could make frosted flowers if they wouldn't take too long...

Any other ideas, anyone? off to asda soonish!!!

ooh x posts times three, sorry! will read now

Minkychunky Thu 14-Aug-08 19:31:38

clicky here

Ok, thanks for all the help, off to asda now, will have a look out for ribbons and flowers (doesn't have to last til tuesday, just a token thing really)

May ask more questions later! x

dandycandyjellybean Thu 14-Aug-08 21:35:33

awwwh you sound like a lovely sister what a nice thing to do. i hope it all works out for your cake. [great big hero emoticon]

Aaw thanks hbm!! Nice of you to say so. x

I have bought a small iced fruit cake, and I have:

pink roses (real)
pink and white ready made icing stars/swirls
white piping icing
baby blue piping icing
red, green, yellow and black writing icing (doubt I'll use those though)
caster sugar, icing sugar and sprinkles!

Can't start it yet as I'm working, but wondering what to do. Tempted to pick off the nasty white piping on the cake, pipe out a load of baby blue forget-me-not style blossoms onto some greaseproof paper, leave them to dry til tomorrow then carefully apply them in a swathe over the side of the cake. I'm sure it isn't as easy as it sounds though!

The other option is to make a tiny bride and groom, which I could in fact do! hmm

ShinyPinkShoes Fri 15-Aug-08 10:56:33

We will need pictures

Oh, I ended up piping loads of little blue flowers directly onto the cake. will try and find camera and stick a pic up shortly!

MaureenMLove Fri 15-Aug-08 11:30:43

Have you got or can you find a cake decorating shop local? Most shops sell ready made icing flowers. They are on wires so you can bend them to fit around a cake.

MaureenMLove Fri 15-Aug-08 11:34:07

<<note to self - read whole thread before posting>>blush

pic! It was a tiny cake as there's only going to be a handful of people there. I gave it to her earlier, she loved it!

Maureen, don't worry, the advice was still appreciated!

oops that link went wrong, try this one

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 15-Aug-08 18:58:33

By or bake loads of fairy cakes and ice them in lovely pastel colours, ten stack them artfully on top.

Califrau Fri 15-Aug-08 19:01:32

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Fri 15-Aug-08 19:07:23

Ooo, it's lovely. Am impressed that you made the forget-me-nots

Well done

etchasketch Fri 15-Aug-08 19:11:46

etchasketch Fri 15-Aug-08 19:12:55

Thanks all! You gave me some great ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now