Talk

Advanced search

Calling all cake-decorating demons! Need help icing a ball

(11 Posts)
BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:06:48

Hello, I'm not bad at icing cakes, but I'm a bit stuck.

I need to decorate a cake so it looks like half a globe. So I've baked a Pyrex bowl of sponge, which is fine, but now how do I cover it in icing?

I bought a lump of blue ready-rolled icing, but if I drape that over the top, it'll have wavy pleats going down the sides, where it's draped, won't it? And if I cut those off and stick the edges together, will that look shite? How will I cover the joins?

Would I be better off just icing it with normal (icing sugar + water) icing? Won't that just run down the edges though?

Any help greatly appreciated! I'm icing it tonight.

Thanks xx

BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:07:45

I also posted this in the Arts and Crafts bit... Didn't know where the cake-decorating girls hang out. smile

CountessDracula Thu 14-Aug-08 16:10:17

Warm it for a while in your hands before putting it over the top
Then you need a smoother thing like this and you just rub it til the creases don't show

Does that make sense?

BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:22:23

Oooh... i didn't know about smoothers... Oooh...

DH has taken the car though, so I won't get to cake-craft shop in time... Can I substitute anything? Are they rough underneath? Could I (don't laugh) use v v v fine sandpaper?

CountessDracula Thu 14-Aug-08 16:23:32

defo not!
They are totally smooth

You might be able to use a trowel??

MaureenMLove Thu 14-Aug-08 16:24:51

You should be able to tease and smooth the wrinkles out, if the icing it thick enough. Smoother not entirely necessary. Anything flat will do.

BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:24:57

They're totally smooth? Hmm.. How do they work then? Maybe I could rub it with a palette knife?

Did you make that Oscar cake on your profile? It's so fabulous!

CountessDracula Thu 14-Aug-08 16:26:11

Yes I did!

Agree anything smooth would do

CountessDracula Thu 14-Aug-08 16:27:06

oh and they work because if the icing is warm and you rub it (even with palm of hand) it smooths and any wrinkles disappear

That or pixies

BEAUTlFUL Thu 14-Aug-08 16:28:09

I need to buy one of them thar smoothers and rub it over my face.

OK, will try. Thanks, cake-decorating demons!

MaureenMLove Thu 14-Aug-08 16:29:34

A pallet knive might be a bit thin and pointy! You might slip and dig a bit out! I usually use the ball of my hand tbh! I'm not a perfectionist though! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now