Talk

Advanced search

Pickled cucumbers - simple tried and tested recipe?

(17 Posts)
Leoloopydoo Thu 14-Aug-08 09:25:55

We have hundreds in the garden but as we are going on holiday I need to pass on the job of pickling what can't be eaten to someone else !
Does anyone have any good ideas?

pickles
pickles
and more pickles

sorry i should have read the title of the thread better. blush i haven't actually tried any of these... sorry!

Leoloopydoo Thu 14-Aug-08 09:49:59

They are at least better recipes than I managed to find! Thanks

Leoloopydoo Thu 14-Aug-08 09:54:43

It says you can keep refrigerated for 2 weeks but I want to keep them for much longer. SHould they go straight into the pickling jars and into storage? Should they go hot into the pickling jars or should I cool them first?

i have to confess that I love to eat pickles but have never MADE them.

sorry.

I'll leave now.

Lilymaid Thu 14-Aug-08 10:03:48

This is a lovely recipe that my mother used to make:
Sweet Cucumber Pickle
3 large cucumbers
2 large onions
50 gm salt
600 ml cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
450 gm granulated sugar
1/2 level tsp ground turmeric
1/4 level teaspoon ground cloves
1 tbs mustard seed

Thinly slice cucumbers; peel and thinly slice onions. Arrange in alternating layers in mixing bowl sprinkling salt between each layer. Cover with weighted plate and leave for at least 3 hours. Then pour away the salty liquid and thoroughly rinse and drain the vegetables.
Put vinegar, sugar and spices in saucepan (nb the turmeric is vital otherwise the pickle will be grey rather than a bright green colour). Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Add cucumber and onion, bring to boil and boil for 1 minute only so vegetables remain crisp. Using perforated spoon transfer the vegetables and mustard seed to preserving jars.
Return the liquid to the heat and boil rapidly for 10 minutes to reduce liquid and concentrate flavour. Pour this syrup over the vegetables (there should be enough to cover them.
Cover tightly when cold.
No need to keep in the fridge unless you have opened the pot.

Leoloopydoo Thu 14-Aug-08 10:09:18

Oooh, lovely! So put into jars hot but seal when cold?

Purplemonkey - I will let you know how it goes...!

Lilymaid Thu 14-Aug-08 10:15:10

Yes, put ingredients in hot and leave until cold before covering - you need to use a proper lid or kilner/la favorite type jar rather than the cellophane that you can use for jam. Alternative is a cork top, but then you need to first boil the cork and then put a layer of greaseproof paper between the cork and the jar. It never lasted long in our house so probably long term preservation isn't necessary!

Leoloopydoo Thu 14-Aug-08 10:22:09

I've got jars that have the rubber ring between the jar and lid and the metal bit that you pull down to seal the jar tight - like the funny old beer bottles - just checked on Wikip, they are kilners.
It will need to last at least until christmas I think.

Lilymaid Thu 14-Aug-08 10:39:59

They should do fine - as I said, none ever lasted that long in my parents' house! Very envious - perhaps I should go out and buy some cucumbers and do some for us too?

Leoloopydoo Thu 14-Aug-08 10:41:47

If you live in Switzerland I will deliver some to you!

Jodee Thu 14-Aug-08 10:46:53

Weirdly, DH discovered a jar of pickled cucumbers in his car this morning, we have no idea how it got there, he can't stand them!

Lilymaid Thu 14-Aug-08 13:19:04

HOw annoying - we were in Switzerland (Grindelwald) for a short holiday a couple of weeks ago!

Leoloopydoo Thu 14-Aug-08 13:45:57

Lovely! We were camping near Lucerne a couple of weeks ago and I met an English woman with her 2 girls in the playground who has just been to Grindelwald, would be the thread of strange things happening if it was you....o!

Leoloopydoo Wed 20-Aug-08 13:05:15

Lilymaid, I made the first batch..... absolutely delicious!!!! Although I did feel a bit guilty putting all that sugar in. Will go great with raclette (grilled swiss cheese)....!

DaisymooSteiner Sat 15-Aug-09 19:05:22

Bumping for anyone with lots of cucumbers! We made about 4 batches last year and will be doing them again this year - we can't get enough of them!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now