Talk

Advanced search

If I cook an entire bag of dried beans, can I freeze them?

(11 Posts)
SuperBunnyisUnderRated Thu 14-Aug-08 02:40:34

So I don't have to keep soaking and cooking them for hours on end every time I need them.

dooneygirl Thu 14-Aug-08 02:43:51

Never thought of that, but sounds like it is a good idea

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Thu 14-Aug-08 02:59:44

Ok, good. I'll have a bean cooking session this weekend then grin

No I need to know how much cooked beans = 1 can. I could just weigh them I suppose. Does a 15 oz can mean that the cooked beans weigh 15oz?

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Thu 14-Aug-08 03:00:12

Meant to say Thank you!

dooneygirl Thu 14-Aug-08 03:10:12

It means the beans in their present condition in the can weigh 15 oz.

Am impressed you cook your own beans. I always forget until too late to soak them. Even with meal plans.

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Thu 14-Aug-08 03:19:19

I don't cook my own beans. I used to but it was too much faff so now I buy cans. I was never organised enough to remember to soak them. I can't think that far ahead. But since we are eating tons of beans these days, I wanted to get dried ones to make it cheaper. It probably won't last but I'd like to give it a go.

SofiaAmes Thu 14-Aug-08 07:18:05

My mother cooks me up big batches of all sorts of things to put in the freezer every time she visits. My kids LOVE her beans and her lentils and we have very successfully frozen batches of both. Only downside is the never-ending supply of farts.

Love2bake Thu 14-Aug-08 09:04:44

The dried ones are so much nicer,I find the tinned ones too mushy. However IKWYM it is a faff soaking them.

That is a great idea to freeze them, I am going to do that too smile

ecoworrier Thu 14-Aug-08 11:48:33

Open-freeze them on trays, then when they're frozen or nearly frozen you can pop them into bags or containers and they will be free-flow.

I must admit, I've never felt soaking or cooking beans to be a faff at all.

cmotdibbler Thu 14-Aug-08 11:55:09

I've always done that - soak and cook a load and then freeze them in 1 cup portions in sandwich bags.

I do the same with brown rice so that its ready in a minute for quick lunches.

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Thu 14-Aug-08 18:57:07

Great! Am off to buy bags of beans grin

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now