Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got an easiyo or similar yoghurt maker? is it cheaper?

(25 Posts)
hopefully Wed 13-Aug-08 10:50:35

I used to have one back in the day, but it appears to have disappeared in my frequent house moves post-university, and am contemplating buying another one.

Has anyone got one, and done the sum to see if it's cheaper than shop bought per litre? I"m thinking I'd probably mostly use the sachets, although possibly as I got braver I might make it from scratch.

DP and I go through vast quantities of yoghurt, around 8-16 pots of activia/other probiotic yoghurt a week (at least 1 per day each), and I'm wondering if there's a more budget way of doing it...

Was thinking I'd probably get the plain yoghurt and make batches of things like stewed apple to freeze and mix in, so wouldn't be buying the fruity squeeze things that you can get with the yoghurt.

Thanks!

lucysmam Wed 13-Aug-08 13:41:47

i'd be intersted in knowing where you would get a yoghurt maker from?

ShrinkingViolet Wed 13-Aug-08 13:57:00

Easiyo yoghurt maker here

hopefully Wed 13-Aug-08 14:11:52

I've had a look at a few other places, and even though it can be found cheaper than lakeland, the postage always bumps it up to a similar cost.

I am going through and doing the sums, and I reckon it might save me a grand total of £70 a year (averaging the cost of the yoghurt maker over the year), which isn't that great, but better than nothing. If anyone's got a different calculation I'd be interested!

lucysmam Wed 13-Aug-08 14:23:52

do you have to use the yoghurt mixes that come with it or could yo make your own? looks like something that would be worth investing in since we can go through 12 pots a week between 3 of us sometimes

Upwind Wed 13-Aug-08 14:28:30

sounds like a great idea!

hopefully Wed 13-Aug-08 14:36:35

You don't have to use the mixes. I think it's actually quite simple (and definitely much cheaper) to make it yourself, even though from what I hear you can expect about 1 in 10 to go horribly wrong. AFAIK you need milk, maybe milk powder, and some kind of 'starter' which can either be powdered (can buy online I think) or be a tablespoon of shop bought pot of live yoghurt.

I'm trying to do the sum based on using the mixes, as I imagine I'll predominantly use them, and occasionally make my own.

Hmm... if I reduce the portion down to 100g (rather than the 125g you get in a pot of activia) I can save £100 a year. Bet DP won't notice!

lucysmam Wed 13-Aug-08 14:43:30

hmmm, think i'll have a proper read of that link tonight while oh at footy and maybe order one to have a go with. I don't think I could afford to buy the mixes but if i could make it myself then it wouldn't be so bad as we go through almost 6 pints of milk every 2 days so would just be using up what we don't use anyways iyswim.

i'll have a look later and see what i come up with. thanks for the thread, mil was on about yoghurt makers ages ago but i'd never heard of them (thought she was losing it tbh!)

trefusis Wed 13-Aug-08 14:45:00

Message withdrawn

lucysmam Wed 13-Aug-08 14:48:52

can you add fruit to them? daft question i know but i like 'bits' in my yoghurt

or flavours? you know like you get toffee flavoured ones at the supermarket n other flavours. Never tried one but could be tempted since its sweet!

trefusis Wed 13-Aug-08 14:49:25

Message withdrawn

trefusis Wed 13-Aug-08 14:50:20

Message withdrawn

lucysmam Wed 13-Aug-08 14:51:46

brill, definately gunna 'look' wink when oh is at footy tonight. i'd just bung in some fruit, would keep me happy for ages

hopefully Wed 13-Aug-08 14:53:18

The easiyo sachets have various flavours, but from memory they weren't terribly exciting - I always made either natural or greek and stirred in something like stewed/dried/fresh fruit or jam. My rough sums above include the cost of this, but imagine you would save loads more than I have reckoned if you made it from milk rather than easiyo sachets.

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 13-Aug-08 14:59:57

used to make yoghurt in a flask about 1980.. homemade yoghurt is full of the right bacteria, no preservatives, and is just milk. Look at the ingredients on any yoghurt pot, none of those in home made.

However, a lot of those ingredients are thickeners and bulking agents to make the yoghurts seem creamier and thicker. HOme made variety is quite watery in comparison, so don't be disappointed if its doesn't turn out like the shop ones because it won't.

I used to make it and stir in custard and fruit so I got the friendly bacteria and a nice taste and texture too.

Might have a look at the link s people have put on this thread as you're tempting me to start making it myself again smile

Upwind Wed 13-Aug-08 15:03:06

How long does homemade yoghurt last, given that it won't have all those preservatives?

lucysmam Wed 13-Aug-08 15:03:52

hmmm, flibbertyjibbet, how runny does homemade yoghurt turn out? soupy watery or watery watery? iykwim?

TsarChasm Wed 13-Aug-08 15:10:20

Ooh good thread. I keep toying with the idea of an Easy-Yo. QVC sell them and they do look good.

I worry though that it will just be another dusty gadget at the back of the cupboard.

Can anyone please tell me if it will make lovely thick Greek style yogurt? That is the sort I seem to buy often and it's quite expensive. Also does it keep for a few days or do you you have to make it and eat it straight away?

hopefully Wed 13-Aug-08 15:16:24

It definitely keeps - before I lost my old maker I used to keep it in the fridge for up to about a week. The easiyo website claims it will keep for 2, but I don't actually think that's a true story...

There is a greek yoghurt mix, but I haven't tried it, perhaps someone else will know? Straining it is relatively easy as well, which is basically how you make normal into greek yoghurt.

TsarChasm Wed 13-Aug-08 15:28:38

Ah thanks for that smile

I would like to try one but I just know dh will trot out his favourite 'haven't we got enough cupboards full of crap' mantra. hmm

bruhaha Wed 13-Aug-08 15:33:18

my aunt bought easi you from qvc and it wouldn't set because of the soft scottish water. She got a Simply yoghurt one from Ideal world and it works much better - i actually tasted it yesterday for the first time as i've been thinking about getting one and it tasted really really nice. i tried the strawberry and greek yoghurt and they were very nice mixed together.

it lasts for 2 weeks in the fridge

Upwind Wed 13-Aug-08 15:45:44

TsarChasm - I just emailed my DH to say I was buying one and had exactly that response grin

I might get it anyway. Bruhaha, was it just the easiyo mix that did not work well with Scottish wather or was it the design of the flask?

bruhaha Wed 13-Aug-08 18:14:58

upwiind - i think it was the mix that didn't work well with the scottish water. My aunt said it wouldn't set and they did mention that on one of the programmes on qvc. They Simply yoghurt one from ideal world works great with our water.

jazzandh Wed 13-Aug-08 21:12:47

I have the one from lakeland like trefusis, is easy and make lovely yoghurt. To make it thicker add a couple of tbs of milk powder, and you can strain it through muslin to make it really really thick.

Use UHT milk and yeo valley as in initial starter, then just use teaspoon of your last batch. It takes seconds to prepare....

LittleDorrit Wed 13-Aug-08 22:08:00

You don't actually need a special yoghurt maker to make yoghurt. My mum used to make it quite often. You just boil some milk, add some powdered milk (this makes it thicker), wait for it to cool (but still warm - some recipes say to use a thermometer but my mum never bothered), you then add a little bit of natural yoghurt (that's the starter), cover the pot/container with a towel or something to keep it warm and leave for 6 hours. When it's ready, just put it in the fridge !
If you google it, you will find lots of recipes for home made yoghurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now