Talk

Advanced search

Easy yet impressive cake needed for sports day cake stand - ideas please!

(69 Posts)
arfishy Wed 13-Aug-08 07:40:36

I have to produce a cake tomorrow, no nuts or cream for the school.

I want it to look amazing (I don't want it to be the only one left at the end) but suitable for someone with a dodgy oven and limited cake tinnery. Also no nuts or cream.

[has idea] Are you all going to say lemon drizzle cake?

[goes off to check complexity of recipe]

Tortington Wed 13-Aug-08 07:49:57

ld cake

i made it last weekend - if i can anyone can

arfishy Wed 13-Aug-08 08:35:29

Oooh that's fab. Thank you. LDC it is!

arfishy Wed 13-Aug-08 09:02:04

It's in the oven. I hope it's a forgiving sort, I had to guess the weight of the sugar and flour.

eidsvold Wed 13-Aug-08 09:08:08

i was going to tell you about my latest discovery.

Little tea cups - made from biscuits, marshmallows, freckles, life savers.

using those clock biscuits ( iced ones - think they are arnotts)make a mix of icing,

stick marshmallow to iced side of biscuit with a dab of icing, add freckle to top with a dab of icing. Cut lifesavers in half and stick them to side of marshmallow to make tea cups ( like handles)

arfishy Wed 13-Aug-08 10:35:17

Oooh that sounds good. Bear with me though, are freckles chocolate discs with hundreds and thousands on?

My LDC came out burnt at the edges. Thankfully it was a trial run so will try again tomorrow and also do some of the amazing sounding tea cups [for bonus points on the cake stall!). Thanks Eids & custy.

Libra1975 Wed 13-Aug-08 10:39:41

I back up custardo that recipie is easy and fool-proof just use the lemon zest from 2 lemons not 1.

Libra1975 Wed 13-Aug-08 10:44:07

ohh arfishy do u have a fan assisted oven? If so turn the oven temp down a little and just keep checking it, it is done when a skewer in the middle comes out clean.

arfishy Wed 13-Aug-08 12:16:47

My oven is evil. After 45 minutes the outside was done but the inside was still liquid. I had it on a low shelf and turned it a couple of times. I had the temp on 160'.

I'm going to try again tomorrow with a lower temp. I guess 160 must still have been too high.

Thanks Libra smile

Tortington Wed 13-Aug-08 14:30:41

shitty ovens are apain aren't they angry

i am sure you will have it done tomorrow - and when you are proficient - send me a piece grin

eidsvold Wed 13-Aug-08 22:25:54

yes - freckles are the little choc disks with the hundreds and thousands on them.

My friend used the coloured 5 flavoured lifesavers - if you know the ones I mean. They really did look fab!!

arfishy Thu 14-Aug-08 00:09:35

Thanks all! I'm going to go and get the stuff for the teacups this morning.

DD and I are going to do LDC mark II after school. I think I'll try 140' - Tana said 170' for non-fan and 160' for fan, but that didn't do the trick. I hate my oven angry. Bloody thing conked out last week in the middle of a huge roast. We had to finish it on the bbq grin. Lamb came out lovely. The roasties were a bit suspect though!

Califrau Thu 14-Aug-08 00:24:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

arfishy Thu 14-Aug-08 02:16:27

I am really not a complete imbecile in the kitchen, honest. But I am confused about the biscuits. And freckles.

I am on the arnotts website (I know, I'm a tragedy) because our local woolworths is the size of a stamp and I thought I'd better investigate beforehand in case I needed to go to the grown-up one in the car.

So. We're looking for round biscuits with icing on one side are we?

[scrolls through product list]

Oooh those iced vo-vos look good. Not round though.

Hmm Honey Jumbles have icing but they're sort of oblong.

AHA!!! I've found them. Iced Tic-Toc. Hmm. These have never been in my local Woolies. As I suspected. It's a trip to the grown-up one.

So, iced tic-tocs, normal sized freckles (I've seen big ones here, but I guess if they have to fit on marshmallows the normal ones). And I know about the life-savers, I used them to make traffic light biscuits. Icing sugar for sticking.

Right! Off to the shops.

eidsvold Thu 14-Aug-08 03:18:51

I haven't made them yet califrau - have to get arfishy to do a pic for you. A nanny friend of mine brought them along to a morning tea we were having - they looked sooo cool.

mmmmmmm honey jumbles - my grandma used to make her own.

iced vovos.

Another easy thing to make

Arnotts lattice biscuits 2pkts
vanilla instant pudding
cream.

Mix cream with instant pudding until thickened.

spread some on one biscuit - top with another to make like a cream sandwich - very scrummy too. Probably not ideal for a cake stall as they need to be in the fridge.

Allens freckles - red packet or you can get homebrand ones too.

eidsvold Thu 14-Aug-08 03:21:13

if all else fails arfishy - get yourself a coles/ woolies butter cake packet mix ( greens do a nice one too) and make it up. Never fail. Do it in a bar loaf style and butter icing.

arfishy Thu 14-Aug-08 03:38:11

Oooh, more great ideas. Thanks Eids.

However, I am safely back from my trip to the big supermarket armed with 2 packets of tic-tocs, 4 different colours of marshmallows and packets of pink and fruity coloured lifesavers (or polos to the rest of us wink). I also managed to grab two packets of freckles from the deli and a hot beef pie.

I will post a picture later (not of me troughing the pie).

eidsvold Thu 14-Aug-08 04:00:17

that is something dh says - you never get a bad aussie pie grin

geordieminx Thu 14-Aug-08 07:01:55

I canot wait to see the pics of these tea-cups - however hard I try I just cant imagine them!!! You auusies whith all your cool ingredients!! envy

geordieminx Thu 14-Aug-08 07:02:34

aussies blush

arfishy Thu 14-Aug-08 07:13:26

The pie was delicious, and just a mini-one, so I haven't been a complete glutton. I also picked up some mushy peas for DP, who was convinced you couldn't buy them here. Oooh the joys of going to the big supermarket!

We are ready to do the teacups, although DD has also insisted on the LDC mark II. I was rather hoping not to have another run-in with the oven.

As I have clearly thousands of women around the globe desperately waiting to see the Eids-teacups, I'd better get to it.

[dons hard hat and approaches oven and icing sugar with trepidation]

geordieminx Thu 14-Aug-08 07:16:45

Can we have an english translation for these ingredients? Is it possible to even get them over here??

{{{{{{{{dreams of cute wee tea cups made out of exotc foreigen treats}}}}}}}}}}}}

eidsvold Thu 14-Aug-08 07:49:01

tbh I do not think there is an aussie translation unless you buy from the aussie shop.

tic-toc biscuits

freckles

life savers - 5 flavours

right shaped marshmallows

I can't think of equivalents of these in UK brands. But will search around.

geordieminx Thu 14-Aug-08 08:26:24

Ok so tic-toc biscuits can be any round biscuit iced

freckles

lifesavers

Not sure on the shape fof the marshallow but they should be easy

unclefluffy Thu 14-Aug-08 08:43:22

This has been fascinating me, but I didn't get it either. I didn't realise that each marshmallow is a cup!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now