Talk

Advanced search

Ingredients of Cheestrings

(12 Posts)
Tinkjon Tue 12-Aug-08 22:26:34

DD (and me, quite frankly!) loves Cheestrings. I know, I know, I know... Of course string cheese is just a silly gimmick and real cheese is just as good, if not preferable, but she sees them as a real treat and I'd rather she have that sort of treat than a Mars Bar! I never buy the other brands of string cheese because they are blatantly full of ick, but this brand says "100% cheese" on the label. However, I am wondering what is actually in them - after all, it can be 100% cheese but still have additives! It's what is in the cheese itself that isn't mentioned! I've emailed the company to ask them but no answer - which makes me suspicious

Has anybody ever found out what is in them?

Hecate Tue 12-Aug-08 22:27:20

I'll tell you what's not in them.

Cheese.
grin

ShinyPinkShoes Tue 12-Aug-08 22:27:33

I don't know but at a guess some rubber or elastic at least wink

Christie Tue 12-Aug-08 22:47:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

familiaritybreedscontempt Tue 12-Aug-08 22:49:26

Just cheese. They advertise very loudly thqat it's just cheese. Horrible rubbery cheese, but then what's so much better about Philadelphia or (YUCK) cottage cheese?

PeaMcLean Tue 12-Aug-08 22:50:16

contains added salted cheese powder

Mmm, yummy.

MrsWednesday Tue 12-Aug-08 22:50:33

They are just cheese, processed to make it stringy.

(I worked on their website once, it's on there somewhere)

Tinkjon Wed 13-Aug-08 14:23:04

I know it's just cheese, but couldn't the cheese itself have additives in? Cheese isn't an ingredient, it's a mix of ingredients, afaik. It's like saying "contains 100% bread" - but that bread could have several different ingredients.

biglips Wed 13-Aug-08 14:24:58

i had one the other day for the 1st time as wanted to taste what they actually tasted like and it was so salty. Yes my Dd loves them but she have them now and again.

Tinkjon Wed 13-Aug-08 14:26:24

biglips, the coloured ones are very salty but the white ones aren't as bad. I love them, DD barely gets a look in They remind me a bit of halloumi cheese, squeaky and rubbery, mmmmm....

biglips Wed 13-Aug-08 14:27:53

ahh right....as it was the coloured ones that i tried. Thanks for the info.

00100001 Tue 20-Oct-15 10:17:19

Cheesetrings are mozzarella cheese that been melted and stretched and cooled.

I think Cheese strings add flavourings and colors and vitamins.

You can actually make cheese strings at home (relatively) easily smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now