Talk

Advanced search

How to keep the shopping budget down

(22 Posts)
Milcy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:25:23

DH has just cut my weekly shopping budget down from £40 to £30 yet complains that I don't get enough to last the week.

Is is actually possible to get a full weeks shopping for 4 people for £30 (we shop at farmfoods and asda).

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Tue 12-Aug-08 14:32:47

Could your DH do the shopping next week and then you can compare success rates? I can't see how £30 could stretch that far.

The woman in front of me at Lidl this morning had a vast amount of shopping, certainly a weeks worth, and I was utterly amazed that it only came to £44. Included a bunch of flowers too.

How nosy am I?!!!!

Jambuttie Tue 12-Aug-08 14:40:36

the prices at the moment are so damn high so i think DH should go shopping let him see just how hard it is to shop on a tight budget

sitdownpleasegeorge Tue 12-Aug-08 14:49:29

Your dh is being unreasonable as grocery prices have risen steadily over the last year. You would need an average increase of about 10% just to bring home the same goods.

Let him do the shopping to see if it is possible to make 25% reduction overnight.

MerlinsBeard Tue 12-Aug-08 14:50:04

aside from getting your DH to do the shop, you could try meal planning. i mean EVERYTHING even down to snacks and how many teabags you may need!!

SpandexIsMyEnemy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:52:24

just seen your other thread - tell your 'DH' to grow up and live int he real world, to stop being a pratonising bullying twat and get to grip with things.

more to the point, if he wants to do that then bitch at the costs, tell him to get the bloody shopping hisself.

fizzbuzz Tue 12-Aug-08 14:56:24

In the Gaurdian today:

The average families food shop has risen from £100 last year to £127 this year because of inflation.

£30.00..is he for real? Tell him to *** off and send him instead.

Jambuttie Tue 12-Aug-08 15:03:51

I bulk buy meat- mince, stew chick breast etc from costco and some tinned goods along with soap powder to try save some pennies. Initially yes it costs a wee bit but then every week all i need to get is fruit n veg oh and cold meat for packed lunches.

I menu plan too each week to try and keep me right and stop me buying shit I just can't afford

candyfluff Tue 12-Aug-08 15:08:01

jesus £30 what century is ur dh living in my bill for 5 people is £95

HonoriaGlossop Tue 12-Aug-08 15:11:40

your dh is being over controlling and stupid. Get him to do the shopping for that amount and see how he gets on.

Our bill for 3 of us (and I meal plan carefully) is between £55 and £70 a week.

Smittals Tue 12-Aug-08 15:13:25

God, my mum's weekly housekeeping from Dad was £30 - in the 1980s!!!!!!! Serve up porridge and lentil stew for a week and tell him he can keep the change grin.

fizzbuzz Tue 12-Aug-08 15:22:03

Does it include washing powder and cleaning stuff as well?

£30.00 is unreal. My ds earns £20.00 per week from a paper round....I'll have to tell him to get the shopping in!

The reason I have put that in, is to illustrate what a tiny amount £30.00 is

Actually Milcy your DH sound a right twat, what with him having a no quitting rule thats making everyone totally miserable and talking to you like your something he would scrape pf the sole of hi shoe. Now he is keeping you short of money then complaining that there is never enough food to last to the end of the week. Sorry if that sound harsh and I hope you can prove me wrong.

Podrick Tue 12-Aug-08 18:46:06

The average figure of about £130 is realistic. If you can manage on £40 you are doing extremely well.

Podrick Tue 12-Aug-08 18:47:03

Perhaps you can post your £40 shopping bill as I am really impressed!

PavlovtheCat Tue 12-Aug-08 18:50:13

I did a shop for 2 adults and a 2yo, two cats this week and I made a list of food, and kept it to the absolute absolute minimum.

I spent £90 shock But it included a ton of BOGOF nappies grin. Otherwise it would have been £80. It was a more expensive shop as I had to buy cat food, olive oil and nappies.

Usually I spent £40-50, and then every 3-4 weeks spend £90-100 on a shop to include toiletries/domestic items.

And I do not think we are extravagant.

(blush oh, does organic meat count? could probably reduce it by another £10 if I did not buy organic meat/milk).

MadameOvary Tue 12-Aug-08 19:01:19

Milcy forgive me if this is out of line -I havent read your other posts but if your DH is that much of a *£$ I would serve him a delicious tasty catfood stew!

And to give you a more constructive answer, you might be able to do it if you buy cheap bulk ingredients and cook from scratch, but if its supposed to include cleaning/laundry stuff and loo roll then you will be struggling. Sorry sad

HonoriaGlossop Tue 12-Aug-08 19:45:33

MadameO I love your name! Best one I've seen on here for ages grin

MadameOvary Tue 12-Aug-08 20:43:42

Thank you HG grin

Jambuttie Wed 13-Aug-08 16:38:42

have u asked hubby to go shopping yetwink

Jambuttie Wed 13-Aug-08 19:12:17

i want to save dosh too on my shopping each week and put in mine for delivery( saves me impulse buying) and its £82 holy shit

No meals on there either just fruit, veg, juice, meat for packed lunches oh and some lenor and vaporese OMFG

charitas Wed 13-Aug-08 19:53:17

My Gran and her next door neighbour had this problem when their partners after night in th pub concluded they gave them toomuch housekeeping and gave them less money. After two weeks of beans on toast they put the money back up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now