Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Glass baby food Jars

(20 Posts)
knot Mon 14-Feb-05 09:19:14

Does anyone know whether its okay to freeze food in these jars? Ds is eating 5 ice cubes now so would be easier?, i think its okay as glass does freeze?

Beansmum Mon 14-Feb-05 09:22:24

I think it's ok if you don't fill the jars too full. If they're too full when the food freezes it might expand and make the glass crack.

I used to freeze loads of ice cubes and then tip them into a freezer bag once they were frozen, it took up less room in the freezer, now I use all kinds of plastic pots I've collected.

Kelly1978 Mon 14-Feb-05 09:25:28

I wouldn't risk freezing glass for baby food, as there is always the risk of it cracking. Glass isn't supposed to be frozen.

bee3 Mon 14-Feb-05 09:27:27

I had this exact conversation with a friend yesterday!

My ds is having 7 or so cubes and it's now such a faff to do the ice cube tray thing - and his food is just being chopped leaving it good and lumpy so I have to squash it in! I was thinking about using glass jars too. Do you put the lids on, or cover with cling film? Persume food needs to be fairly cool before putting into freezer? Do others just use small plastic bowls and lids?

Will watch thread with interest.

knot Mon 14-Feb-05 09:30:52

but i thought you could freeze glass pyrex can be frozen or is that special glass?

Kelly1978 Mon 14-Feb-05 09:31:37

What about saving yoghurt pots? I actually bought some tubs from the local discount store, small ones are usually cheap enough.

Kelly1978 Mon 14-Feb-05 09:32:49

I looked on google and found this....

NEVER FREEZE FOODS IN GLASS!! Why?

Baby food jars are not made for freezing. Glass that is not specifically manufactured for freezing has the unfortunate ability to crack, leave behind tiny, microscopic shards and fragments and also is prone to bursting. That being said, many people do freeze in baby food jars but I do not advocate this whatsoever! After all, you're making baby's food because you want the best nutrition and health for your little one; why take a risk by freezing in jars? There are glass jars on the market that are specifically manufactured for freezing and those jars should pose no hazards at all.

Tommy Mon 14-Feb-05 09:36:08

Freeze them without the lids on and them put the lids on when they have frozen completely - gives room for them to expand.
That's what I did anyway (reccommended by a Norland nanny no less!)

Beansmum Mon 14-Feb-05 09:36:31

I'm sure I've frozen glass before, but now I'm struggling to think of an example! surely it would only crack if the stuff inside expanded too much? If you didn't put a lid on that wouldn't be a problem, just put clingfilm over the top.

If you don't have any pots what about freezer bags?

Grommit Mon 14-Feb-05 09:46:48

You shouldn't freeze glass. I make a batch of baby food eg spag bol, cheesy pasta, chicken casserole and freeze in meal size portions in tupperware pots. If I do not have enough with lids I freeze in small plastic bowls and then take out when frozen and pop in freezer bag - like big icecubes.

IlanaK Mon 14-Feb-05 12:46:59

I bought a box of those new AVent disposable pot things that can be used for both milk feeds and food. They are perfect for when baby is having larger portions. They say dispose of after 4 uses, but they are really strong plastic and I have not had to throw any away yet. The lids are very tight fit too so easily portable.

lilsmum Mon 14-Feb-05 12:50:54

i bought aload of cheap plastic tubs with lids and used to freeze in them

hth

Surfermum Mon 14-Feb-05 12:58:48

I use empty yoghurt pots (the Yeo Valley ones) and empty rice pudding pots.

bonkerz Mon 14-Feb-05 13:02:29

i use them all the time to freeze food in! I sterilse them in solution first (dont have a dishwasher) then fill them and leave a 1cm gap at top! leave food to cool then freeze! Never had any trouble and just stand in bowl of hot water till defrosted!!

Juliehafrancis Mon 14-Feb-05 13:38:56

I didn't do the whole freezing in baby food jars for the reasons stated below. Instead I got some little food pots/tupperware boxes or ever cheaper little sandwich bags and put the food in there.

sweetkitty Mon 14-Feb-05 22:02:14

I use the Avent pots as described below but I saw the other day that wilkinsons do little food containers for about 59p each might get half a dozen of those.

HunkerMunker Mon 14-Feb-05 22:32:42

I freeze breastmilk in glass bottles - they're ones made by Lansinoh specifically for freezing it though.

funnyhead Mon 14-Feb-05 22:33:55

I graduated from ice-cubes to bun trays. One bun is about 2-3 ice cubes

melbob Tue 15-Feb-05 03:47:20

I use glass jars all the time never had a problem.

littlerach Tue 15-Feb-05 10:15:15

If you use empty yoghurt pots, do you cover them before freezing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now