Talk

Advanced search

What age for DC to start using own spoon and plate?

(4 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 11-Aug-08 14:47:04

Hi, I'm just wondering what age to introduce a bowl / plate for DS to use to self feed? He is 9.5 months old and we BLW plus some spoon feeding of mashed and chopped food. He feeds himself really well but I just plonk it all on his highchair tray so it ends up being spread everywhere. Also when we are out in restaurants etc I tend to just give him bits of bread etc to hold and chew but he doesn't have a plate that he picks it up from himself.

I've not tried to get him to use a spoon yet either although he often has one to bash about while I am feeding him.

I was in tesco today and I noticed that they sell Tommy Tippee bowls for 9months + for self feeding so should I be doing this by now? I don't want to end up keeping asking DS to keep his food in the bowl though, I can't quite see him doing this yet!

Plus if you are using bowls for your DC, what age did you start and can you recommend any good ones eg the suction type etc? Thanks!

pinkspottywellies Mon 11-Aug-08 15:25:44

I tried the suction mat from Tommy Tippee and found it useless. It didn't stick and the bowl didn't stay on it either.

I would suggest putting the food in a bowl to give to him, and not worrying if when it ends up all over the high chair tray and floor! This will give him the idea of having it on a plate/bowl but just don't try to enforce it!

TrinityRhino Mon 11-Aug-08 15:27:04

just give him a bowl and spoon
he will pur it al out over his trya but who cares

let him lkearn fomr you and he will get there

lucysmam Mon 11-Aug-08 17:26:25

the suction thingys are rubbish imo! just give him a bowl & spoon n let him play with it while you're feeding him so he definately gets something to eat, he'll learn from what you're doing n get to try it out for himself at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now