Talk

Advanced search

what would you do with frying steak?

(23 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 16:41:22

something yummy but quick for oh's birthday treat as it was his birthday 2 weeks ago but couldn't afford to do anything exciting then for him or take him out!

Collision Sun 10-Aug-08 16:42:21

Stir fry! Marinade the steak in oil and garlic, quick fry it and add lots of stirfry vegetables. Serve with noodles.

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 16:46:09

oooooh, yeah, didn't think of stir fry cos we had it last night but yeah thats a good idea. don't know quite what i was thinking though since its frying steak!!

Collision Sun 10-Aug-08 16:48:18

It would also be nice with potatoes and veg and gravy, I think.

shinyshoes Sun 10-Aug-08 16:52:22

i'd go with any of the above, just because its frying steak dosent mean you can't have it with pots, veg and gravy, it isnt at all tough and can be quite lean and tender is done right. I wouldnt casserole it as its quite thin.

steak and chips
stir fry
beef veg and gravy
steak salad (very lightly cooked still quite bloody if you like it like that)
beef curry

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Sun 10-Aug-08 16:52:31

er, fry it? a minute each side (or less if you like it bloody)

make some potato wedges, roast them for half an hour. Roast some peppers and carrots too if you have them.

make some peppercorn sauce; a cheater's version: grind up about a tablespoon of black peppercorns, melt a knob of butter, mix in the ground peppercorns, add a bit of milk, some gravy granules, wait til they dissolve, and thicken it up nicely. (water if it gets too thick) A blob of cream if you have some.

Yum and quick.

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 16:53:44

bit hot for veg and gravy type meal maybe but i like the stir fry idea

Collision Sun 10-Aug-08 16:55:07

Tis cold here so we are having HM lamb curry and rice and poppadums and HM Naan bread and raita...............smile

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 16:55:24

i also like the pepper sauce suggestion though!! wish id not asked now because there's always so many suggestions n they're always tasty

mankymummy Sun 10-Aug-08 16:56:32

fry with onions and peppers and garlic, serve on top of a big bed of salad with a mustard dressing.

yuuuuum!

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 16:58:13

that sounds tasty too but oh doesn't like mustard! i'd quite happily eat that though

LaTrucha Sun 10-Aug-08 17:00:43

Steak sandwhich with ciabatta bread, bluse cheese or mushrooms, rocket and tomoates. Perhaps may aswell.

mankymummy Sun 10-Aug-08 17:20:19

do it with a pesto vinaigrette then... equally yuuuum!!! wink

ByTheSea Sun 10-Aug-08 17:23:34

Stir fry with broccoli, mushrooms, spring onions and oyster sauce. Serve on steamed rice.

DontNeedAnything Sun 10-Aug-08 17:25:36

I would marinade in a bit of cumin & crushed chillies....and then fry with peppers and onions, maybe mushrooms and wrap up a la fajitas...prob with a bit of rice.

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 18:33:44

i'm starving now!! ta for ideas, am doing it stir fried on own with salad, mushrooms, big chips and a mushroomy & cheesy sauce.

but have noted all ideas and will be trying them out soon smile

PestoMonster Sun 10-Aug-08 19:17:26

Fry it up, use it in fajitas smile

elmoandella Sun 10-Aug-08 19:26:22

fry it with pinch salt,pinch sugar, sqeeze lemon and some garlic.

cut come tomatoes up. dress with olive oil, saly and garlic.

have with either chips/wedges or just a loaf of crusty bread.

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 21:34:30

ooooh, elmo, wish i'd seen that earlier! i love garlic n didn't even think to use any!!!!!

elmoandella Sun 10-Aug-08 21:36:53

we had this tonight. kids love it too.

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 21:44:14

mine probably would be def didnt feel like sharing with her!!! been ages since we ate together just the 2 of us. will remember that one for next time we shop though, tasty n quick grin

elmoandella Sun 10-Aug-08 21:56:14

really quick if just having with bread. cheap too. 2-3 slices steak, couple of tomatoes and a cheap baton of bread. feed 2 adults generously for less than £4. stuff buying an expensive fillet or sirloin. takes 20 mins to cook and costs 3 times the price.

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 22:04:01

that wsa why we got frying, because i'd promised a steak but with budget being tight i didnt want to spend everything on it. was very tasty even though we didnt end up with cheesy mushroomy sauce type thing i attempted, fried some mush and thick sliced toms instead n did big chips.
Think i'll stick to frying in future, so much cheaper and just as tasty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now