Talk

Advanced search

my shopping list

(8 Posts)
giraffescantdancethetango Sun 10-Aug-08 15:17:55

Am about to become unemployed next week (been on lots of interviews etc and think until I get a job I will be just doing supply work, so will still have an income but not a big one!)

Am very bad at cooking, well not bad its just Im uneducated, I grew up in a convenience food household and am desperately trying to learn.

Things I have saved on are -

2tins chopped tomatoes at 47p each
parsnip 45p
carrots 42p
broccoli 49p
garlic 34p
potatoes 44p
knorr stock cubes £1.09
onion 11p

am using them to make a big pot of soup and also pasta sauce, about 4 servings of each so can freeze etc.

Ms own sweetcorn 38p
bananas 57p
tropicana orange £2.89 blush
Ms own pasta shells £1.24
Ms own cheese £2.52
3 pizzas £1.99
heinz mayo £1.59
vinegar (for cleaning) 57p
baked beans 2 x31p
brown bread 72p

I usually buy last person already grated cheese, this time I have bought a huge block and I will grate it myself and put it in a food storer box.
The pizzas are just chese&tomato, Im going to add green peper, mushroom and sweet corn to them.
Used to buy hovis seeded batch and now have bought morrisons own brown bread.

Already have quorn, mushroom, peppers, milk.

Any other ideas/tips?

objectivity Sun 10-Aug-08 15:19:27

Are you buying from M&s?

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 10-Aug-08 15:21:07

Oops sorry M=morrisons. So when I put Ms own I mean Morrisons own.

ilovemydog Sun 10-Aug-08 15:21:30

Get cheese on offer, grate it and freeze it.\

Also, you can either make your own pizza dough or get it in a mix (in bakery section). Really easy - just add water, knead and roll. Kids love making their own pizza! smile

smurfgirl Sun 10-Aug-08 15:29:11

Value chopped tomatoes are about 21p each and taste as nice as the more expensive stuff.

cocolepew Sun 10-Aug-08 15:32:05

Asda own OJ is lovely and just a £1, try a different one to Tropicana

ImnotOK Sun 10-Aug-08 15:38:54

This thread is really really helpful

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/4/575773

lucysmam Sun 10-Aug-08 15:55:13

giraffes, we're in the same sort of position after oh lost his job, try out value ranges as i've found you can't tell most from the more expensive ranges iyswim?

Also, look out for bogof's that you'll actually use and can freeze if you need to.
learn to bake some basic biccy's and cakes - ymyy and cheaper than bought ones! if you have time obviously.

try netto, aldi and lidl as they're cheap. reduced racks for stuff to use straight away or that can be frozen & go at the end of the day to get major reduced stuff(ive only just found that out!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now