Talk

Advanced search

Budget slow cooker meals? Suitable for adults and babies?

(20 Posts)
chloemegjess Sat 09-Aug-08 20:16:03

Hello, I want to get back into using my slow cooker, as it is so easy to cook from scratch with them.

We are on a very tight budget at the moment, so want to do some really cheap meals, that I can stick in the slow cooker in the morning, dish out for DD when she has her dinner, and then leave on for when we eat ours when she is in bed.

So they need to be baby friendly (7months old). And perferably be able to be frozen too, as I like to do extra, and then have some home made, ready meal type things in the frezer.

Any ideas? Preferably with instructions and times!

Thanks

madcol Sat 09-Aug-08 20:30:06

I used to make chicked casserole. Chicken legs; chunky vegetables topped up with a tin of tomatoes. Would puree for DS and then freze. He loved it and DH happy as well

chloemegjess Sat 09-Aug-08 20:57:20

Thanks, will give that a go tomorrow. I have chicken fillets in the freezer, I assume these wikl work too? Did you just throw it all in straight from the frisge/cupboard?

ImnotOK Sat 09-Aug-08 20:59:03

Chicken casserole

chicken

whatever veg you have in

4 potatoes sliced thinly

I always chuck in a handful of curly kale to bulk it out.
Stockcube .

ImnotOK Sat 09-Aug-08 21:00:27

Sorry I didn't put time I always put it on low if I do it in the morning or 2-3 hours on high if I put it in the afternoon.

Tinkjon Sun 10-Aug-08 14:15:04

sausage, lentil & veg casserole - then just take the sausages out for the baby. Browned sausages, onion & garlic, stock, Puy lentils (don't consider any other type), then whatever veg is to hand - I like grated carrot and red pepper. This is actually a WeightWatchers recipe that is so delicious that we eat it all the time, even if I'm not WeWa-ing

chloemegjess Sun 10-Aug-08 16:18:22

Can I just ask about the lentils - why not any other type? I actually meant to buy lentils today but forgot. I have never actually cooked lentils, but wanted to start so I can give them to DD.

FatBellyJones Sun 10-Aug-08 17:29:10

This is a link to a file of 250 or so slow cooker recipes, hope it helps

www.completelyfreeebooks.com/extra/ebayinfo/slow_cooker.html

Tinkjon Mon 11-Aug-08 08:58:49

Any other lentils turn to mush pretty quickly but Puy lentils hold their shape really well and always stay really nice and crunchy - even more important in a slow cooker. I would never use any other type of lentil - although they are more expensive...

PaddlePig Mon 11-Aug-08 09:15:52

cool, thanks for the link to the book.

quick question, I was bought a new larger crockpot recently and the lid isn't a brilliant fit. should it really be a very tight fit?

think I know the answer but too late to return it now as it's been used a few times.

hmm

PinkPussyCat Mon 11-Aug-08 11:22:59

Paddlepig - the lid on my slow cooker is not at all tight fitting, just sort of 'sits' on top IYSWIM.

HTHsmile

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 11:33:48

Yes, my lid just sits on top too. There are no gaps or anything though

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 11:34:32

Also, can you cook meat from frozen in there? I keep forgetting to defrost it!! Obviously I know it would take longer, but is it ok to do?

Furball Mon 11-Aug-08 11:47:54

excellent website here

BigBadMousey Mon 11-Aug-08 12:13:11

just looked at furballs link - theres a thread on there that says a definite NO to cooking from frozen.

I know nothing about slow cookers but think the time may have come to invest smile

chloemegjess Mon 11-Aug-08 12:52:42

ok thanks, will get some chicken out tonight and hope I remember to put it on tomorrow!

PaddlePig Mon 11-Aug-08 17:57:32

thanks, i have to place it carefully tho otherwise there is a gap.

definately NO to cooking meat from frozen.

i tend not to bother with all the browning meat/veg in advance. Whole point of slow-cooker is to save me time LOL.

I use gravy granules to thicken in the last half hour. I also add sour cream/yoghurt etc in the last half hour to stop it seperating.

i usually use chicken thighs as A) they are cheap and B) they stay moister than breast.

i usually use stewing steak but accidentally bought thin frying steak last time - d'you think that'll work as well?

BigBadMousey Mon 11-Aug-08 22:07:22

Do slow cookers use up much electricity?

lizziemun Tue 12-Aug-08 07:06:56

No it about the same as running a lightbulb for a few hours.

But then you are only heating a small area as appossed (sp) to heating the whole oven IYSWIM.

BigBadMousey Tue 12-Aug-08 09:09:19

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now