Talk

Advanced search

I want to put something homemade in my care package I'm sending to a serviceman, any ideas or recipes?

(30 Posts)
hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 12:05:21

I'm a novice at baking so easy peasy recipes pls!

scotlass Fri 08-Aug-08 12:07:34

flapjacks - I haven't got a recipe though you can google it

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 12:39:04

Fab idea scotlass - will have a look for a recipe smile

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 12:43:35

The condensed milk flapjack recipe on MN just rocks.

I'd make something that won't break easily.

Everytime I send stuff to my cousin in Afghanistan I try to send something homemade, but sturdy.

Hard sweets, too - things like jelly babies or wine gums hold up well.

Chocolate I've found doesn't travel well.

Oh, and enough to share.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 12:44:34

From what I hear, the food out there kind of sucks, so any bits that can liven it up go over well.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 12:44:36

From what I hear, the food out there kind of sucks, so any bits that can liven it up go over well.

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 12:50:10

I'll search for the flapjack recipe and make that.
Winegums and jellybabies are great idea's.
Thanks!

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 12:52:45

HP sauce, marmite (if he likes that), Bovril, anything to live up the food, which Cuz says it very bland and/or too salty.

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 12:58:11

Thanks expat, any ideas from someone who knows someone over there is great.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 12:58:33

also check the forces' website or post in the forces section on here for items that might be prohibited.

it can vary by where the person is serving, but there can be restrictions on some food products or other things.

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 13:07:38

I don't actually know the serviceman/woman I'm sending the package to. I send it an address in the UK and then they send it to a serviceman/woman who doesn't receive many care packages.
I decided to make up a care box for a female.
Its quite tricky as I've never done this before. But MN has been great for getting idea's.

I found this recipe:

[Porridge Oats (just the plain cheap type, not large ones), 500g
Butter, 300g
Golden Syrup (in a green and gold tin), 4 serving spoons
Unsweetended condensed milk, half a tin
Demerera sugar, 340g

You'll also need an oven, a saucepan, some baking parchment and a large
baking tin or a couple of small ones.

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius, you may need to search the web to find a conversion to gas mark (1-9) which many ovens are in.
2. Line the baking tin with baking parchment, this doesn't have to be neat.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
4. Add the sugar and syrup. Keep heating and stirring until all is melted and mixed. Don't rush by turning the heat up, the sugar will start to caramelise etc. If it starts to boil take it off the heat!
5. Add the condensed milk and mix.
6. Gradually add the oats, folding them in. All the oats should be coated, and the mixture quite dense, but still sticky. Don't add so many oats that the mixture becomes dry.
7. Pour the mixture into the tins and spread about so that it lines the tin to a depth of 2-3cm. Fill as many tins as necessary! Don't squash the mixture in, just spread it evenly.
8. Bake in the oven for ~15mins. If using top and middle shelves swap half way through so they cook evenly.
9. You should take them out when they just start to go brown round the edges, don't leave longer than this. If they're still squidgy in the middle that's fine, they set on cooking.

I will attempt to make it! Fingers crossed!

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 13:08:53

that's the one!

i cut back on the sugar if i'm using already sweetened condensed milk.

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 13:37:55

I'll do a practice bake first - Just in the interests of research you understand grin

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cocolepew Fri 08-Aug-08 13:41:09

Where do you find the address to send one too? That's a really nice idea. When my DB was in Iraq I always sent him books and magazines, I would like to carry this on. (he's out of the army now)

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 13:43:40

My cousin loves getting magazines.

They can't be ones like Nuts or that, but hobby-type ones are fine.

He says they're well-liked just for the ads in them.

cocolepew Fri 08-Aug-08 13:45:53

I used to send my old Mojo and Q mags. I don't read nuts grin

McDreamy Fri 08-Aug-08 13:47:28

this web page might help take particular note of the alcohol - very very strict! It's really nice of you to be doing something like this. Receiving post from home regardless of who it is from was always such a boost when I was detatched. Don't forget to include a letter smile

ImnotOK Fri 08-Aug-08 13:48:24

Are you allowed to send homemade items I'm sure I read on a site you can't.
Don't want to be a killjoy just thought it would be best to mention it smile

ImnotOK Fri 08-Aug-08 13:53:44

www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/carepackages.html,it says here homemade items are prohibited sorry just don't want you to put lots of effort in for it not to get sent out.

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 13:53:53

I posted on here that I would like to do this and littlelappin linked me to this website

They have a list of things to send but some of the things they suggest are not suitable (such as chocolate) and its really great to hear from people that know someone out there or someone who has been there.

this is the orignal post.

Thanks McDreamy, what sort of things should I say in the letter? It's quite hard writing to someone I don't know!

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 13:55:01

Thanks Imnotok. Thats a real shame, but its best to know

hughjarssss Fri 08-Aug-08 13:56:54

the first link doesn't work, try this

McDreamy Fri 08-Aug-08 13:57:13

If you're happy to, a little about you, why you are doing this. Just hearing about life in the UK, even if it's just the weather, is comforting. I know it's difficult but it would be an extra bonus receiving a parcel with a letter inside smile

ImnotOK Fri 08-Aug-08 13:58:27

It's ok I think it's a great idea I might do one myself grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now