Talk

Advanced search

I took some fish out of the freezer on wednesday night and didn't use it yesterday - throw it or use it today?

(12 Posts)
StellaWasADiver Fri 08-Aug-08 08:01:02

WWYD?

I was going to make fish pies for me and DS but didn't get around to it blush

Should I throw it away or will it be alright?

whooosh Fri 08-Aug-08 08:02:24

Smell it-that will tell you if it is ok.
If it has been in the fridge the whole time it should be fine-if left out then I would probably not risk it.

2sugars Fri 08-Aug-08 08:09:46

Did it have a 'use by' date before you froze it? I'm particularly fussy about stuff like this but if you're going to cook it/eat it today I'd go for it. But like whoooosh said, sniff first.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 08-Aug-08 08:10:41

I would bin it as it has been out of the freezer more than 24 hours.

2sugars Fri 08-Aug-08 08:18:12

But if it's been frozen a couple of days before its use-by date, and defrosted in the 'fridge, should be OK, shouldn't it? I'll have to rethink my whole eating ethos otherwise.

Flmsprrw Fri 08-Aug-08 08:19:57

If its been in the fridge I'd use it.

ilovemydog Fri 08-Aug-08 08:20:33

I hate throwing food away, but chuck it.

moshie Fri 08-Aug-08 08:20:48

It'll be fine as long as it's been in the fridge.

StellaWasADiver Fri 08-Aug-08 09:07:28

Hmm. It has been kept in the fridge to defrost, and I froze it the day I bought it...

Thanks everyone.

going to sling it as it's for DS. I'd use it for me and DP but am out tonight and three days after defrosting is just wrong. Out it goes.

RusselBrussel Fri 08-Aug-08 09:09:35

It will be absolutely fine. If you froze it the day you bought it, and now it has been in the fridge for 2 days, that is no different to buying it, keeping it in the fridge for 2 days and then using it.

Smell it, I bet it will be absolutely fine and to throw it would be such a waste!

cremolafoam Fri 08-Aug-08 09:11:17

bin- sorry.

CouldYouWouldYouWithaGoat Fri 08-Aug-08 09:11:25

you should eat fish the day you buy it. fridges are not really cold enough to keep fish safely for days.

glad you chucked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now