Talk

Advanced search

saw the elderflower champagne thread and wondered if anyone makes their own wine?

(16 Posts)
lucysmam Thu 07-Aug-08 17:28:48

and how easy/cheap it is and how much space you would need to do it in? Just out of curiosity at the minute but if it sounds simple and inexpensive then I would most likely be tempted to give it a go!

MinkyBorage Thu 07-Aug-08 18:07:15

I made some years agol, and it was easy and you only need somewhere to put a demi-john, can't remember what sort of temperature it should be stored in though, shouldn't get too cold iirc

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 18:10:02

DH tried it years ago. It was horrible. His friend tried it too. It was horrible. Some other friends are brewing it as we speak. I can predict the result already.

What were you thinking of making the wine from? Grapes? Other fruit or vegetables?

blackcoffeenosugar Thu 07-Aug-08 18:12:18

no but I like to dabble in fruit flavoured vodkas and gins..

Chocolateteapot Thu 07-Aug-08 18:15:37

DH has some one the go, he's done it for me bless him. I am very very worried about the end result and whether I will be able to drink it and sound genuinely as if I am impressed (which I get the impression I am expected to be !)

He has cheated and got some kit though. It lives in the garage, having started in the bath. I don't actually know any more than that.

littlerach Thu 07-Aug-08 18:16:59

My mum used to make her own out of everything.
She always managed to drink it too. grin

lucysmam Thu 07-Aug-08 18:23:27

cthea, I haven't a clue tbh, was just curious after reading the thread about elderflower champagne and thought if it wasn't too hard and didn't need too much space I might give it a go.

blackcoffee, you make your own??

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 18:24:30

DH tried elderflower. Not a good idea.

lucysmam Thu 07-Aug-08 18:29:18

hmmm, i think i might give it a miss and stick to netto's own lambrini type stuff after reading this!!

unless someone else who is successful comes along, then i may be persuaded to try it

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 20:44:34

I suppose if you're very serious (veering towards earnest) about it, you could join some forum for like-minded people (like "Selfsufficient-ish") and get some tipples tips on there.

lucysmam Thu 07-Aug-08 21:36:28

lol@tipples! i'm not that serious about it cthea, was just curious as to whats involved but think i'll leave well alone for now

cthea Thu 07-Aug-08 21:40:17

Here's the selfsufficientish forum if you get ideas again.

lucysmam Fri 08-Aug-08 09:33:56

thanks cthea, i dont think i'll bother though, noone who answered seems very successful and i probably wouldnt be either

EachPeachPearMum Fri 08-Aug-08 11:44:15

My dad always used to make stuff like elderflower wine, blackberry wine, rhubarb even- often with good results.
The one that DIDN'T work was pineapple- goodness knows what he was thinking grin
You do need a lot of space though for the bottles (for making, not the keeping I mean!)
Often people put them up on freecycle (demi-johns)
I know quite a few people who made beer at uni, from its, but it was neve rthat nice tbh, and IME cheap german lager from aldi/lidl tastes much better.

Anchovy Fri 08-Aug-08 11:50:04

I have very fond memories of doing this with my dad when I was young. I cannot accurately represent what it was like as I was about 10 and only allowed to have a sip. It tasted great to me! The entertainment value of our projects like this was huge!

TBH I think wine was both more expensive, more "exotic" and harder to get then. I'd be surprised these days if it is cheaper than a reasonable £2/3 bottle and it almost certainly won't be as nice.

When I was at University I went to a party where the hosts had brewed their own cider from apples in the garden. It was, predictably, rank!

EachPeachPearMum Fri 08-Aug-08 16:37:29

oops- my post was meant to say beer from kits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now