Talk

Advanced search

Nigella's blueberry muffins - can I use...

(12 Posts)
AllBuggiedOut Thu 07-Aug-08 09:58:02

... lot fat yoghurt, does anybody know? Thanks.

charliegal Thu 07-Aug-08 10:05:34

you can but the muffins are not that nice really!

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Thu 07-Aug-08 10:10:42

i LOVE these muffins. i use buttermilk but try the yoghurt, should work.

also her raspberry & lemon muffins are excellent and do not require buttermilk or anyother butter production waste goods.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 07-Aug-08 10:12:06

Humm, ok, thanks. I don't have buttermilk and don't want to go to the shops, but have low fat natural yoghurt or Total Greek yoghurt in the fridge. I'm sensing they might be better with the Greek, yes?

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Thu 07-Aug-08 10:17:24

no use the low fat, needs to be a wee bit acidic. poss. a squirt of lemon juice. google buttermilk substitutes.

DillyTanty Thu 07-Aug-08 10:19:29

low-fat is fine, they're great muffins, very versatile recipe imo.

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 10:20:25

Low fat will be fine. These are the ones with the melted butter, aren't they? I use half the ammount of blueberrys she recommends, other wise they tend to be too blueberryish.

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Thu 07-Aug-08 10:21:12

how can they be too blueberrish! i am going to hav eto go and make some now.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 07-Aug-08 10:23:39

Brilliant, and I've realised I'm 50g short of blueberries, so thanks for that advice too! Am off to make them now smile

DillyTanty Thu 07-Aug-08 11:09:42

i grate a wee carrot into them too... sometimes use raspeberries, lemon rind, sultanas, cinnamon, whatever. you'll soon see you can add whatever you want, within reason.

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 16:18:00

How were they, AllBuggiedOut?

AllBuggiedOut Thu 07-Aug-08 16:45:07

Oh bless you, thanks for asking! They were good. And I'm glad I used less blueberries as per your recommendation. I've had this with muffins before, where the blueberries sort of burst and stay squishy so you need a good proportion of cake to fruit. A doddle to make, will definitely do them again. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now