Talk

Advanced search

What do you lot like to do with mushrooms?

(16 Posts)
schneebly Wed 06-Aug-08 21:59:41

I have never liked mushrooms but tried them again recently and now taken a real notion for them! Not really sure what to do with them as we have never bought them before because it is the only thing DH wont eat!

I bought some closed cup ones and had them this evening cooked in the oven lightly brushed with butter and sprinkled with lazy garlic, salt and pepper and they were lovely but I don't really know what else to try with them. blush

Any suggestions?

schneebly Wed 06-Aug-08 22:02:57

might disappear for a bit but will return to thank anyone who is kind enough to help my poor little clueless self smile

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 06-Aug-08 22:04:47

we love buying the HUGE open cup mushrooms put oil/butter in them and put them on the BBQ or in the oven..
Delicious grin

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Wed 06-Aug-08 22:05:18

I stick them in risotto (eg. with leek and smoked mackerel, yum)
scrambled eggs
bolognese-type sauces or anything with pasta

that is if ds doesn't get to them first, he is a fiend for them (raw!)

PigeonPie Wed 06-Aug-08 22:05:53

Mushrooms go in virtually all lunches in our house! Great for pasta, risotto, chilli, bolognaise, stir fries - they're a staple!

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Wed 06-Aug-08 22:05:56

ah, bythepowerofgreyskull, your name makes me laugh every time, fab grin

Brangelina Wed 06-Aug-08 22:07:38

Pan fried with garlic, onions, white wine and parsley.

In a creamy bechamel sauce with pasta.

Blended with garlic, various veg, butter beans and herbs/white wine/cognac to make a paté.

Chopped with spinach in a curry (need to dig out the recipe)

Added to an omelette along with potatoes and the like.

charliecat Wed 06-Aug-08 22:08:48

dig stalk out fill with cheese. Heavenly.
In omelettes.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 06-Aug-08 22:08:53

Big, flat mushrooms, grill on one side and then stuff with brie and bacon and grill again.

Also fill with scrambled egg serve with palma ham.

Cook mushrroms with cream, salt and pepper and a bit of wrcester sauce, server in ramikins and fresh bread.

mushroom stroganoff.

mushroom omlette.

To be honest we add musrooms to stews and bolognaise suaces, most sauces.

Oh, mushrooma and garlic sauce for chicken, or pork, cook some sliced mushrooms in oil with garlic, add some white wine and either creme fraiche or cream to make a nice sauce to go with the meat.

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 22:10:58

chop up courgette, spring onion and red pepper really finely, fry with a bit of lemon juice then lay into the big flat mushrooms, sprinkle a bit of parmesan on top and grill for about 15mins - yum!

Fry some chicken, then add mushrooms, spring onions and garlic chopped up, cook it all up for a bit. Add 7fl oz stock and a tub of creme fraiche, and a tbsp of wholegrain mustard. Bit of cornflour to thicken it up and then serve with rice. Delicious grin

Overmydeadbody Wed 06-Aug-08 22:14:18

What do I like to do with mushrooms?

Walk right on past them at the supermarket grin

schneebly Wed 06-Aug-08 23:49:54

grin OMDB that is exactly what I did until yesterday lol

Thank you all very much for your suggestions - I have a feeling I may eat lots of mushrooms for the next couple of weeks until I am sick of them then not have any for ages grin

babs10000 Wed 06-Aug-08 23:51:04

with gnocchi and lots of parmesan..heaven

Quattrocento Wed 06-Aug-08 23:51:41

Oh I love mushrooms

Risotto
Omelette
Stroganoff
On toast - cooked with onions and a bit of soy sauce

babs10000 Wed 06-Aug-08 23:54:16

trouble is though they need oil/butter..have you tried micorowaving? A poor imitation..btw Waitrose Portabellini the best

ChukkyPig Thu 07-Aug-08 00:01:46

I love mushrooms but my DH can't even look at them...

When he is on a late shift my supper usually includes mushrooms (preferably the large field ones) cut chunky and fried in lots of butter. Mmmmm.

Before I met a mushroom hating loony they got added to all things where you shove veg in - curries, bolagnaise, stews etc etc.

And omlettes are good. And I quite like the odd one raw as well... Damn DH and his mushroom phobia!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now