Talk

Advanced search

Cous cous - how do you cook it and then what do you do with it?!

(8 Posts)
gerbo Wed 06-Aug-08 21:16:46

Ok - I know I can probably follow the packet instructions but I need some advice. Never really eaten cous cous and certainly never cooked it.

I bought some to try as a dinner alternative to pasta/rice for my dd (16 months). When cooked, what do I put in it/with it?

Any good recipes/tips (toddler friendly)? Thanks!

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 06-Aug-08 21:25:56

We used to mix it with roasted peppers, but dd doesn't like them, so we eat it plain. Goes well with anything wet really - casseroles etc.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Wed 06-Aug-08 21:27:36

Sorry but ..................<<boak>> to cous cous.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 06-Aug-08 21:28:30

Bree eats it really. She serves hers with a side order of octopus wink.

Habbibu Wed 06-Aug-08 21:32:37

Claudia Roden's way is perfect: equal volumes of couscous to lukewarm water or stock. Add water to couscous in oven-proof dish and leave for 10 mins. Then (and this is the important bit), add some olive oil and mix in, then pick up handfuls of the couscous and let it trickle out of your fingers back into the dish. Do this with the whole lot. Then cover with foil and into a hot oven for 20 mins. The lifting makes it very light and fluffy.
We have it with roasted veg, with chopped herbs, cooked spinach and chickpeas, with cucumber, tomatoes, herbs and maybe feta and olives, with spicy stews, casserole type things. DD loves it - she's 21months, but has eaten it for ages.

kid Wed 06-Aug-08 21:35:59

I use vegetable stock with it. I just add the water, cover it for a few minutes and then fluff it up with a fork. I add chicken to it, or peppers, tomatoes and onions.

I used to hate it when I just added water, it definitely needs some flavour added.

SazzlesA Wed 06-Aug-08 21:36:58

Message withdrawn

stirlingmum Wed 06-Aug-08 22:23:03

I love couscous. Use hot stock though, not just water and that gives it more flavour. And Olive oil at then end.

We love it with mixed roast veg (peppers, corgette, red onions etc) mixed into it and then serve with a fillet of salmon or some halloumi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now