Talk

Advanced search

Deep frying question

(7 Posts)
suiledonn Wed 06-Aug-08 12:21:50

Hi, I really fancy some deep fried chips, pregnancy craving I think. We don't have a deep fryer and rarely ever fry anything. Is it safe to cook them in a saucepan of oil or am in danger of burning down the house? Also which oil would be best to use?

Carmenere Wed 06-Aug-08 12:24:48

Use veg oil (rapeseed is best imo). Use a deep pot and do not fill it more than 1/3 full and do not put too many chips in at once as it will bring down the temp of the oil and you will end up with soggy chips.

Mamazon Wed 06-Aug-08 12:29:12

part boil the spuds, let them cool then cut them into chips.
wait till teh oil is red hot then fry them.

it means that they come out crisper and they aren't in the fryer for as long so don't soak up as much oil.

my chips are famous with all my friends lol

witchandchips Wed 06-Aug-08 12:30:58

Home made oven chips are a bit safer if you plan to do anything else while they are cooking. Fill a deep roasting tray with oil an inch or so deep, heat it till bubbling in the oven. Move to the ring on high heat while you add the chips (only one layer thick) and the put back in hot oven for another 40 mins.

witchandchips Wed 06-Aug-08 12:31:00

Home made oven chips are a bit safer if you plan to do anything else while they are cooking. Fill a deep roasting tray with oil an inch or so deep, heat it till bubbling in the oven. Move to the ring on high heat while you add the chips (only one layer thick) and the put back in hot oven for another 40 mins.

suiledonn Wed 06-Aug-08 12:33:26

Thanks for the advice. I hope they don't come out too tasty or I could get addicted. I usually make homemade wedges in the oven but today for some reason it just has to be fried!

BouncingTurtle Wed 06-Aug-08 12:42:01

Have a wet teatowel on standby! So in the unlikely event it does catch fire you are prepared!

My cousin managed to have a chip pan fire, luckily damage wasn't too bad, mainly smoke damage in the kitchen but it could have been much worse! The irony of it was her bf at the time was a fireman... and yes he did get called out to her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now