Talk

Advanced search

What's the mumsnet consensus on lolly pops?

(18 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Tue 05-Aug-08 16:24:16

Little balls of boiled sweet on the end of a stick.

Bad? Or OhmygodIjudgeyou bad?

Kbear Tue 05-Aug-08 16:25:14

hate them for various choking, teeth decaying reasons!

Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 16:25:21

Fab for shutting the children up as they think it is a really big deal! and they get excited about having one.

Everything in moderation but prob not so good for the teeth!

MrsFluffleHasAWuffle Tue 05-Aug-08 16:26:05

Bad. But not quite at the OhmygodIjudgeyou level - unless it's on an under 2yo of course

Kbear Tue 05-Aug-08 16:26:20

I think they are stressful!! "sit down with your lollipop darling, come on sit down with that before you choke" SIT DOWN WITH THAT LOLLIPOP OR I'LL TAKE IT OFF YOU!!!!

belgo Tue 05-Aug-08 16:26:28

ALways a disappointment. My dds are always desperate to have one, then discard them after a couple of sucks.

And of course very bad for the teeth.

Katisha Tue 05-Aug-08 16:27:00

As a MN pedant my opinion is that it should be lollipop.

broccolispears Tue 05-Aug-08 17:03:03

Is there such a thing as - ahem - healthier lollipops? Just sugar and fruitjuice maybe? Less of the neon colours and stuff?

Ledodgy Tue 05-Aug-08 17:04:12

They're cheap and shut them up for ages. What's not to like?

cornsilk Tue 05-Aug-08 17:05:54

I don't like them - risk of choking.

gingeme Tue 05-Aug-08 17:07:39

Hate them. Scare the bejesus out of me to see a little one running around with them. We used to go to a kebab shop for a treat with the dc and the man who served us always gave the dc a lollypop each when we finnished. I used to say thankyou politely then chuck them.

justaboutagrownup Tue 05-Aug-08 17:08:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 17:10:56

PITA. I already have the "Do NOT walk round with the toothbrush in your mouth" battle every day. Can't be arsed with a similar one.

belgo Tue 05-Aug-08 17:26:30

Cola flavour lollipops should be banned. Dd1 was once given a party bag containing three cola lollipops and rock hard toffees. She was three, and didn't like any of them. Neither could I.

girlsallaround Tue 05-Aug-08 17:29:36

anything but these!

they are dangerous because they can fall off the stick and cause choking

i have heard of craked front teeth from falling with one in your mouth

they are pure sugar, any other form of sugar could be a better alternative

MrsDougRoss Tue 05-Aug-08 17:33:07

my ds will not sit still for anything, so have not even tried a lollipop, but people offer them in hairdressers etc. I think they think i am really mean for saying no.

blackcoffeenosugar Tue 05-Aug-08 17:34:01

Ds has not touched a lollipop sinse he was 4, when he was sucking away in the garden, took it out of his mouth, as he had found a dandilion clock to blow!

He held hi 'pop in one hand and blew his clock , which prompty stuck all over ih beloved lollipop. giving it a furry fungle look!

I'm not overly keen on them, chocking hazard and bad for teeth.. oh and you can't hold one to blow a dandilion clock.

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 18:18:51

I hate the thought of a child having lollypops, as people have mentioned they are about the worst possible sweet to give a child due to their stickiness and the time it takes to eat them, the longer the sweet is in the mouth, the more likely it is cause tooth decay.

They're also a choking hazard and they could damage their teeth by biting down on them before they've softened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now