Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian Dinner ideas for 5??

(10 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 15:56:09

got my friends coming for dinner tomorrow night and they're vegetarians, and I need something interesting to cook which won't feel like a main dish with the meat left out for my DH and brother! I get a veg box delivered so preferably something using as many of following ingredients as poss:

potatoes, carrots, savoy cabbage, khol rabi (sp), courgettes, broad beans, vine tomatoes, salad

grow our own fresh herbs so plenty of them...in a bit of a pickle of something interesting but fairly quick to make after work

thank you!

Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 16:02:40

vegetable soup and homemade bread for starters

Potato gnocchi or risotto for main with a salad of broad beans and tomatoes

Raspberries and meringue for pud

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 16:06:28

so with vegeatarian risotto - how do you make it actually taste nice?! have made delish mushroom risottos before but one friend hates mushrooms and I otherwise use home-made chicken stock for flavour?

MrsSprat Tue 05-Aug-08 16:13:43

Oooh, had a lovely veggie thing last night and I thought it would be perfect for those half and half dinners.

Black bean and avocado pilaff

(sorry it's in cups, cos 'merican)

1 cup brown rice
2 cups stock
1.5 cups of black bean (a tin)
1.5 cups of cherry tomatoes (a punnet more or less)
1/2 cup avocado diced (about 1/2 of one)
1/3 cup spring onions (about 3 biggish ones)
Pinch of ground black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1/3 cup of parsley or coriander

1. Combine rice and stock, bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins
2. Chop and combine everything else in a bowl
3. Let rice cool down
4. Mix it all up and serve

Complete doddle and very colourful and summery. I jazzed it up with some slices of baked aubergine as my avocado was a bit hard.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 16:16:25

that sounds good...thank you! also easy enough to add my green veg in

MrsSprat Tue 05-Aug-08 16:16:48

Sorry doesn't really use your ingredients I've just noticed, but it was really good and cheap to shop for!!

You could definitely make something similar with your courgettes, broad beans and vine tomatoes.

MrsSprat Tue 05-Aug-08 16:21:15

up the numbers too a bit as that served 4 and it's okay for next 24 hours after cooking.

Elasticwoman Tue 05-Aug-08 16:21:56

Sounds great MrsSprat but also

courgette quiche

+ potatoes

+ rice salad with broad beans

+ green salad with kohl rabi sliced thin

Just noticed you'll be short of time, so maybe make the quiche/flan the night before.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 05-Aug-08 17:40:08

typical - they've cancelled! will note for reference though, thank you!

MrsSprat Tue 05-Aug-08 18:13:18

Awww shame. Do try the pilaff though, it's an excellent quick-fix and not as tricky as tabboleh, which I always b*gger up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now