Talk

Advanced search

Am going to bake something for my new neighbours any suggestions or let of know if it is a naff idea

(30 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 14:18:18

Was going to do nigellas clemintine cake but it has almonds in it and they may have a nut allergy. Killing my new neighbours may not help me settle. Do you think one cake or biscuits?

expatinscotland Tue 05-Aug-08 14:18:59

What a nice gesture!

I think biscuits. How about jusg rolled sugar ones?

MakemineaGandT Tue 05-Aug-08 14:19:17

are they new or are you new?

dilbertina Tue 05-Aug-08 14:27:25

I find a homemade "welcome to new home" card lovingly (well ok with much protest!) by dcs generally goes down well too.

I also bung a few eggs over too, to avert any mutterings about chickens squawking a little too early in the mornings.

Biscuits would be lovely though....can I come and live next door to you?! (although obv. you would have to put up with squawking chickens so may not be so appealing to you....)

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 14:28:56

I am new. We have moved onto a road full of old people and although they have been very polite i can see they are quite wary of this young family of northern townies that have landed on their doorstep. I thought it may help break the ice.

Twinkie01 Tue 05-Aug-08 14:29:24

Take them a lasagne - they will appreciate not having to cook dinner more than a cake - well I would!

cornsilk Tue 05-Aug-08 14:30:38

You are very kind. What about scones with strawberries and cream.

pedilia Tue 05-Aug-08 14:31:30

I would go for the biscuits, always go down well with the older generation.

what a lovely gesturesmile

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 05-Aug-08 14:32:39

lovely idea - biscuits always great idea

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 14:47:13

I might do scones, i make amazing scones even if i do say so myself.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 05-Aug-08 15:20:10

mmm, scones,yum ! do you make cheese ones ? my favourites

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 15:31:24

Have never tried cheese ones but may do a mixture.

savoycabbage Tue 05-Aug-08 15:35:49

I hope you are the person who has moved into my street. I love scones.

paranoidmother Tue 05-Aug-08 15:39:33

I would think if it's just one house i'd do a cake but perhaps some biscuits if you are doing more than one house.

I dropped in on our new neighbours forgot to take anything but they were pleased that someone had said hello. Make a point of saying that if they need anything to call on you but you understand that everyone needs their own space and you won't intrude. Worked for us and we see them every few days to say hi to.

Somedays a bit longer for a chat and tea.

Good luck with the new neighbours.

Twiglett Tue 05-Aug-08 15:40:29

you're lovely

scones (with jam and cream) or biscuits or muffins

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 15:59:19

Savoy if you are over 65 I may be. Am not making them until tomorrow as I am yet to unpack my baking things. My cul de sac has seven other houses. Should i just bake for my immediate neighbours or the other houses as well?

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 16:14:26

Savoy if you are over 65 I may be. Am not making them until tomorrow as I am yet to unpack my baking things. My cul de sac has seven other houses. Should i just bake for my immediate neighbours or the other houses as well?

stillstanding Tue 05-Aug-08 16:17:45

I would say immediate neighbours but if you are on a roll ...wink

SazzlesA Tue 05-Aug-08 16:23:02

Message withdrawn

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 16:40:11

I had thought of that but was not sure how well people knew each other and dp is quite shy and reserved. As there is such am age gap i did not know if it would be awkward especially if people did not come together.

ELR Tue 05-Aug-08 16:40:58

def not nigella cake is an aquired taste, it is the texture i think i love it but dh cant stand it
maybe some muffins or nigella cupcakes or pretty biscuits

ELR Tue 05-Aug-08 16:42:02

shortbread if its older people!! slightly agest

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 16:49:00

Lol elr for some reason I make awful shortbread.

Chocolateteapot Tue 05-Aug-08 16:51:24

Lovely idea, I think scones or biscuits, and get your DD in on the act decorating some labels or something.

I'd do immediate neighbours only for the moment. They will thaw in a bit and hopefully you will have some on the doorstep baby sitters. Get them talking about the garden, pretend you don't know what you are doing with it, that will get them going. And ask them to recommend the local farm shops, doctors etc.

Our neighbours are elderly and have become surrogate parents to the DCs, they are absolutely outstandingly brilliantly fabulous.

I have my fingers crossed that the rain goes very soon so you can see Dorset in the sun. We have just been for ice cream at Barford Farm and it was shut due to the weather shock

twinsetandpearls Tue 05-Aug-08 17:08:09

I don't know what I am going with the garden! Thanks for the advice. The rain is rubbish but at least it has meant I have had to stay in and unpack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now