Talk

Advanced search

I think Lidl might be the way to go..............I am very pleased that mumsnet recommended it!

(65 Posts)
Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 12:20:47

Went today on a whim as we were in the area.

this was a midweek topup shop to go with things I had bought last week.

So, this week we will eat

Butternut squash soup for lunch today and dinner tomorrow

Sausages braised in vegetables served with polenta and gorgonzola.

Spinach gnocchi with tomato sauce

Chickpea, bacon and tomato pasta

Pizza with a variety of toppings ie chorizo, mozzarella, roasted peppers, olives

Vegetable tortilla

HM raspberry pavlova

Spaghetti with fresh tomatoes, garlic and mozzarella

We bought masses of fruit and vegetables for a fraction of the usual cost.

Also bought dw tablets, deodorant, shower gel, toilet duck, biscuits.

How much did I spend????

£28.72 grin

TheMuppetMuggle Tue 05-Aug-08 12:26:53

Yeah we like Lidl to grin

Miaou Tue 05-Aug-08 12:27:02

I heart lidls. I did a week's shop for six of us for £56. grin

Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 13:12:07

I think if you are flexible with your shopping list you can do a weekly shop there. I am not sure if they have the same things week in week out or not.

There were huge electric drills and barbecues in the middle of the store! hmm

DH and I liked the no frills, less packaging aspect of it and it really is very cheap!

I spoke to a customer and asked if she recommended the washing powder or not and she said that Tesco's own brand was cheaper, so it is good to know things like that.

Just had a Lidl shortbread finger (69p) and it is as delicious as the expensive ones! grin

OrmIrian Tue 05-Aug-08 13:17:50

Now ...you see I agreed with you until last week but I have some doubts. There were hardly any apples, very little in the way of nice veg and the minced beef was nearly 25% fat when I cooked it. However I think the fruit and veg thing was a one-off - the shelves were quite empty generally at that time. But Aldi is v nice with fresh fruit but very little fresh meat. Aldi sells nice feta, Lidl sells Greek yoghurt. Now if they would have the decency to amalgamate and get more staff I'd be very happy.

Kewcumber Tue 05-Aug-08 13:20:53

I am switching to aldi LiDL from Tesco as its so much cheaper - am getting my (organic) milk delivered because I can;t get it there and have deciede to start baking my own bread.

I am going to have a £10 Abel & cole delivery once a week.

And its still cheaper than Tesco.

I also buy less because there isn't the same choice which is a good thing too!

Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 13:23:23

Orm - Maybe it depends which store you shop at as there was lots of fresh fruit today and bags and bags of apples. Mangoes were 69p and strawbs were £1.69.

Dont think I would buy meat there but DH saw NZ lamb fillets in the freezer that he said he would try but I do like the meat from the butcher.

Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 13:24:34

I agree Kew, there is less choice which makes shopping easier.

Tins of tomatoes were 21p or 29p so much cheaper than Tesco/Sains and we will compare to see what they are like.

Cappuccino Tue 05-Aug-08 13:26:05

I always buy a ton of crap there because I think it's so cheap and maybe it won't be there next week

I come out with all kinds of rubbish and spend over budget

I bought a concealer pencil and a pop up tent once neither of which I needed

Ambi Tue 05-Aug-08 13:28:50

I also think the food is better quality, as the europeans do seem to eat better quality food than the british on whole.

I've been back to asda a few times and I'm always disappointed, the fruit at asda was nowhere near as tasty.

Definitely agree about the easier shopping as there's less choice. I always wax lyrical about Lidl, even if people look down their noses at me grin but I'm going to stop as our shop is getting busier and busier.

OrmIrian Tue 05-Aug-08 13:29:38

Yes. I think it does depend. But it is a bit offputting when there it's so variable even though I know that's one of the things that make it cheaper.

I won't be buying meat there again I think although my mum swears by it.

Ambi Tue 05-Aug-08 13:29:47

I also think the food is better quality, as the europeans do seem to eat better quality food than the british on whole.

I've been back to asda a few times and I'm always disappointed, the fruit at asda was nowhere near as tasty.

Definitely agree about the easier shopping as there's less choice. I always wax lyrical about Lidl, even if people look down their noses at me grin but I'm going to stop as our shop is getting busier and busier.

Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 13:36:20

It was funny really because I was chatting to a lady there and she was recommending some of the products and I said to her that it was just getting over the 'snobby aspect' (and not recognising brand names) of shopping at lidl.

She agreed with me but said that we dont even think about it if we go to Spain and shop in a Spanish supermarket! We are even excited at the new products.

She was right and I shall not be a snob anymore! wink

prettybird Tue 05-Aug-08 13:37:02

Depends what time you shop - earlier in the day you will get a better choice of fruit and veg.

prettybird Tue 05-Aug-08 13:38:33

The Lidl Dishwasher poder came out well recetrnyl in a WHich? test. I used a separate rinse aid anyway - and don't bother with salt as we live in an area of really soft water.

elliephant Tue 05-Aug-08 13:57:12

Kew, my local Lidel sells organic milk - I don't know if all branches stock the same but have you checked yours?

Kewcumber Tue 05-Aug-08 14:02:54

yes - I've never seen organic milk there. I'm giving Dairy Crest a go, I'll see how it goes, though it is more expensive, I should still save money.

prettybird Tue 05-Aug-08 14:48:01

Mine doesn't do organic milk - but it has recently started doing unsalted butter

kiskidee Tue 05-Aug-08 14:55:43

I went to a Lidl in Spain and was well impressed. they had a deli counter which made the Sainsbo's one look ordinary and the Tesco one embarrassing.

Collision Tue 05-Aug-08 15:13:57

we should boycott Tesco and all go to Lidl!!

Twiglett Tue 05-Aug-08 15:16:26

the 'W' dishwasher tablets seem as good as Finish to us .. but the smaller packet (600g) is actually cheaper per weight than the big (1Kg) packet

I think Lidl is great too

jojo76 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:18:51

Lidl is so brilliant! We save about 30-40 quid a week shopping there. The washing powder is fine, i get the non bio tabs. Always use the dw tabs too and cleaning stuff. The fruit and veg used to be really dodgy but it seems much better now, it does depend when it is delivered though, like someone else said.
I find the meat ok, although I wish they did free range.
Collision, you will learn to love the random "middle aisle" items, I have had some great gardening things from there and a few good things for the kitchen like a blender and rice cooker!!
I also find it is so much quicker to do a weekly shop there as it's just so much smaller than Tesco or sainsburys!

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 05-Aug-08 19:07:25

We shop miostly at Lidls these days. I love it. DW Tablets fine, washing powder and fab con fine, and I love their nappies and wipes. Loads of apples at mine, biggest tastiest Golden Delicious I've ever seen.

Yoghurts are fab, cheese is fab, meats are fab, cereal is fab, have I mentioned I think it is fab? grin

CuckooClockWorkShy Tue 05-Aug-08 19:13:38

I go there for nappies.

JUST don't buy anything chocolatey as you'll be disappointed, it will taste of ginger, or have a marzipan centre hmm

chocolatespiders Tue 05-Aug-08 19:15:44

i love ALDI
do you all think LIDL is better... if so i will give it a try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now