Talk

Advanced search

hummus recipe please

(10 Posts)
JumpingDizzy Tue 05-Aug-08 12:10:50

my friend recently made hummus and it was awful so she ended up throwing it away.

Does anyone have a good recipe that tastes authentic?

catrin Tue 05-Aug-08 12:40:36

Don't know about authentic...

Tin of chickpeas, couple of cloves of garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Add enough oil that it is sort of spoonable, and lemon juice and salt to taste.

Never use tahini, never have any in cupboard. Usually tastes quite lovely.

Psychobabble Tue 05-Aug-08 12:44:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

witchandchips Tue 05-Aug-08 12:46:17

authentic is chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, tahini all mushed up together. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.

I can't do raw garlic anymore (too much of it when i was a student in the late 80s I guess) so I cook the garlic in some olive oil first (gives a milder + sweeter taste). Also for a change (and for weaning food) i sometimes use greek yoghurt instead of tahini. Paprika is also good as a seasoning.

MakemineaGandT Tue 05-Aug-08 14:18:25

1 tin chick peas (400g), drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
juice of 2-3 lemons
2-3 tablespoons tahini
salt and pepper

Blend it all together until smooth. add more lemon/tahini/seasoning until it tastes as you like

cornsilk Tue 05-Aug-08 14:19:41

Where is tahini in the supermarket?

witchandchips Tue 05-Aug-08 14:22:53

2-3 lemons thats about 75ml of lemon juice, do you really like it that sharp MakeG&T?

you have to ask where the tahini is as it is always one of those things that they don't know how to categorise

MakemineaGandT Tue 05-Aug-08 14:22:54

often near health foods. Or near things like fish sauce etc

MakemineaGandT Tue 05-Aug-08 14:24:03

well, depends on the size of the lemon! I always use 2, sometimes as much as juice of three. People always say my hummus is the best............grin

JumpingDizzy Wed 06-Aug-08 18:29:22

thanks all I just noticed you'd posted. I'll give it a go and surprise her. She makes the best tzatziki so I'll do a deal, pot of hummus for her tzatziki grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now