Talk

Advanced search

Freezing homemade veggie lasagne

(6 Posts)
AllBuggiedOut Mon 04-Aug-08 22:15:35

Assemble then freeze, or assemble, cook, then freeze?

I want to make one for a friend who's just had her second baby, and thought it would be a good thing to take for her and she could either use it immediately or freeze for a later date. Should I cook it first, or take it "raw"? Is the answer the same whether I use fresh or dried pasta? Thanks!

Overmydeadbody Mon 04-Aug-08 22:18:05

Either way works fine.

I find if you cook it first, then recook it is can be quite dry.

The ones I make at work (catering) we just asseble, with a lot of runny sauce, then they are stored in the fridge assembled for 24 hrs before being delivered to our customers. They then just need to be cooked for 30-40 minutes and are never dry.

Overmydeadbody Mon 04-Aug-08 22:19:44

If you're using dry pasta sheets make sure you use a lot of sauce so it doesn't become a thick stodgy mess.

Lovely idea for your friend though! smile

AllBuggiedOut Mon 04-Aug-08 22:33:17

Brilliant, thanks. I think I'll use fresh pasta 'cos I was worried about the dryness and have visions of the whole thing collapsing when she tries to serve it if I use too much sauce!

Overmydeadbody Mon 04-Aug-08 23:05:34

Aim for three layers of pasta sheets, with sauce in between each layer, startng with sauce at the bottom. That gives the perfect lasagne thickness and consistancy we've found.

AllBuggiedOut Mon 04-Aug-08 23:24:43

Yes, 3 layers usually works for me too. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now