Talk

Advanced search

going to attempt to be wheat-free - any tips please?

(6 Posts)
mckenzie Sat 02-Aug-08 20:06:28

I've just checked the cereal packets and it seems I will be ditching my muesli and enjoying porridge or Oatibix instead for a while. I cut out bread and bread products a few weeks ago but what about rivetas? (I keep them loose in a tupperware so can't check the packaging!) Rice cakes I'm assuming will be okay. Just trying to think of other things that I eat regularly that might have wheat hidden in them smile.

Anyone else who is wheat free - is it quite easy?

TIA

mckenzie Sat 02-Aug-08 21:53:28

bump

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sat 02-Aug-08 22:02:36

I did it for a year. It was easy enough if a little expensive at home, but all went to pot when we travelled. Then again I was veggie, which many people think means "pasta" hmm

my sister and her dc's are coeliac, and they find wheat in all kinds of bonkers stuff. chips. grilled fish. corn flakes. salad dressing. almost all flavoured crisps.

hth

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 02-Aug-08 22:12:08

I've not tried to be wheat-free myself but my mum has coeliac disease and can't eat wheat/gluten so I know a bit about it. Ryvitas are made with rye flour which contains gluten but not wheat, but its very similar to wheat so if you have a wheat allergy it might be best to avoid. Rice cakes and any rice things are fine. Things to avoid are things like sausages, some sauces, etc which contain wheat flour to thicken/bind them. Biscuits/cakes/pasta normally have wheat flour in too. Although supermarkets tend to have lots of good wheat/gluten free alternatives nowadays. We gave DS a gluten free diet until he was a year old in case he had inherited by mum's condition and it wasn't too difficult once you know what you can and can't eat.

Have you been diagnosed with an allergy or intolerance? Some people can get away with small amounts of wheat or gluten and just feel bloated, etc but some people can't eat any without being quite ill.

pamplemousse Sat 02-Aug-08 22:13:15

Dark rye ryvita are ok. The others have wheat in I think. Rice cakes are fine, just rice!
It is easy once you get the hang of it - things with sauce often have wheat for thickening, things with flavourings often have wheat in, like crisps for example. You can get wheat free muesli, its cheaper to get the oat flakes and your favourite dried fruits and mix it up then you know its fine.
Soy sauce has wheat in, tamari doesn't, tinned soup often has wheat, some chips (only one type in sainsburys doesn't! Its what makes them crunchy) er, just trying to think of things I didn't realise at first.

mckenzie Sat 02-Aug-08 22:19:47

thanks very much for all the tips.
I don't know for sure that i hve a wheat intolerance. Something isn't quite right and hasn't been for years and I've tried all sorts of things. Recently I have been cutting out the bread and bread products which has made a slight difference but I'd like to see if I can make even more of a difference. I'm not going to be anal about it, just try and cut it out as much as I possibly can and see what happens. We are off on holiday next weekend to Turkey so iIknow I'll be eating lots of salads and fresh fruit for a fortnight so I thought it was as good a time as any to get started.

Shame about soy sauce pamplemousse - I love it! Guess I need to invest in some tamari sauce instead huh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now